Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go fast suspension!!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go fast suspension!!

I've been thinking what direction I want to go with my jeep. I'd love to do it up for extreme wheeling and be the envy at ramp day...but I don't want to sacrifice road manners too much and in reality my jeep is used 90 percent of the time on the road, 9 percent racing down forest roads, 1 percent actual technical wheeling.

So during my endless search for inspiration I came across this series of videos....
https://youtu.be/HUa6IzU_5iY

....and found my muse!!

So the theme to my build up(slow time mind you) will be focused on going fast on rough dirt roads, carrying hunting/fishing/camping gear and hauling my dirt bikes to the less accessible areas.

Mods so far...
315s duratrac
19/60 springs, 1" levelling kit
Trimmed fenders...that's it
Stock 410s, 6 speed, 2 door X

To accomplish my jeeps end state...

2.5" dual rate or progressive springs
Speed bumps
Fox shocks
CA lowering brackets
Adjustable track bars front/rear,
TB drop brackets
High steer

This should sort out suspension...

Thoughts on go fast suspension parts/systems?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers front and rear. Good long arm or custom link.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rock Krawler Trail Gunner if you wanna go fast....

http://www.rockkrawler.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2011
Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Ha! You guys are awesome, I would love to bolt on a $5-9k system....but I forgot to mention I'm a cheap SOB, well maybe not cheap, but stretch thin with jeeps(I have an old yj I'm fixing up as well) dirt bikes(xr650r and kx250) kids braces, mortgage etc, I'm just a simple marine engineer so no big budget build ups here. Plus I'm just a recreational jeeper...when I get a sponsorship to race I'll lot into the super high end stuff!

Although I may choose to run Fox or FOA bump stops rather than the Teraflex for the ability to tune them.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Teraflex pre runner kit with Fox adjustable shocks.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matty86suk
Ha! You guys are awesome, I would love to bolt on a $5-9k system....but I forgot to mention I'm a cheap SOB, well maybe not cheap, but stretch thin with jeeps(I have an old yj I'm fixing up as well) dirt bikes(xr650r and kx250) kids braces, mortgage etc, I'm just a simple marine engineer so no big budget build ups here. Plus I'm just a recreational jeeper...when I get a sponsorship to race I'll lot into the super high end stuff! Although I may choose to run Fox or FOA bump stops rather than the Teraflex for the ability to tune them.
My mistake you did say you wanted a go fast suspension. I guess you could get away with say a Metalcloak system with some king or fox resi shocks or something like that.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

At 2.5" you're not ready for high steer unless you run crazy bumpstop or notch your frame.

Go fast and low budget don't work well. You'll have to define "fast", otherwise building a buggy may be a better route.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
At 2.5" you're not ready for high steer unless you run crazy bumpstop or notch your frame.

Go fast and low budget don't work well. You'll have to define "fast", otherwise building a buggy may be a better route.
Great, that's the kind of info I need...what works together and what doesn't.

I may have been vague on what "go fast" means to me. To you guys its full on Baja trophy trucks. Go fast to me means 50-60mph Max down logging and forest service roads. Not much whoop sections but lots of washboard, dips, g outs etc. No jumping or 100 mile whoop sections like in Baja.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So, you want to go fast, handle great, and be safe, on the cheap?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You are not going to run down rutted roads at 50-60 mph own a budget and the teraflex speed bumps are a joke. You are going to want some good air bumps and some good shocks that are tuned to your jeep. You are also going to need up travel to take the bumps. I would look like 6" or so on the up side. With a short wheel base and short arm suspension it is going to be squirlly off road at speed. A custom long arm suspension that flattens the control arms and steering links as much as possible. A cage is also recommended for a tumble off road.

Buy a razor, it will be cheaper in the end.

Quick Reply: Go fast suspension!!