Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gobi vs Kargomaster

Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi vs Kargomaster

Price aside, has anyone installed either/or?

How is the wind noise on the Kargomaster vs the Gobi?
How is the stability?

I've narrowed my rack choices down to these two, since neither require drilling (I simply do not like the idea of drilling into sheet metal for rust and stability purposes)

Are both capable of hauling canoes/bikes, etc? It's not an easy decision simply based on what I've read. I've seen complaints of extreme wind noise from the KargoMaster, but I haven't heard anything about the gobi, mostly because I don't think many people have them installed.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

while i have not installed either of these racks on a JK, i have seen both in person and have had a chance to thoroughly examine them. both are great racks and while the gobi might be a bit more stylish, it is also a lot more expensive. for whatever it's worth, i have a kargomaster rack for my tj now and love it. it is super strong, well built and has served me well for over 6 years now. i think the most i've ever carried on it was a bit over 400 lbs. of unbuilt ikea office furniture and without any problem.... well, except for my jeep sagging in the rear big time

if it were up to me, i would go with the kargomaster just based on my experience using their rack on my tj and for the price difference.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm more concerned about wind noise than anything else when it comes down to the decision I ultimately make. I've read a few posts on here that the KargoMaster is extremely noisy and I'm concerned about that...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by hPOD
I think I'm more concerned about wind noise than anything else when it comes down to the decision I ultimately make. I've read a few posts on here that the KargoMaster is extremely noisy and I'm concerned about that...
trust me, ALL roof racks will howl. there really is no two ways about it. however, if you have a hard top, it isn't too bad.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
trust me, ALL roof racks will howl. there really is no two ways about it. however, if you have a hard top, it isn't too bad.
Yes, I have a 4dr rubicon with hard top (the 3 piece hard top). All I really care about is a good way to transport my canoe when I go camping, it's been a problem finding a rack for the JK, and it looks like it's coming down to buying a roof rack to solve the problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Yes, I have a 4dr rubicon with hard top (the 3 piece hard top). All I really care about is a good way to transport my canoe when I go camping, it's been a problem finding a rack for the JK, and it looks like it's coming down to buying a roof rack to solve the problem.
if you run just the congo cage, the wind noise really isn't too noticable even when topless. it's the basket that makes all the noise. anyway, you don't need the basket to carry your canoe
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kargo master and love it. It is loud but i really dont notice it anymore. I think for the money it is an awesome rack.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=hPOD;816152]...
I've narrowed my rack choices down to these two, since neither require drilling (I simply do not like the idea of drilling into sheet metal for rust and stability purposes)
...QUOTE]

I'm in the market for a rack on my 4dr Rubicon as well - and was going to go with the Wild Boar rack - but didn't realize that it might require drilling. Are the Kargomaster and the Gobi racks the only 2 that don't require drilling?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=tuber;817039]
...QUOTE]

I'm in the market for a rack on my 4dr Rubicon as well - and was going to go with the Wild Boar rack - but didn't realize that it might require drilling. Are the Kargomaster and the Gobi racks the only 2 that don't require drilling?
From what I have seen, yes. What it seems to come down too is style...the Gobi rack is expensive (upwards of 1700$), compared to about 400$, that said, the Gobi rack looks really REALLY nice. That's my biggest sticking point, if it comes down to saving 1000$ but making my 35k Rubicon look stupid...then I'm about to commit the deadly sin of vanity. Also from what I've heard, the Gobi rack is much quiter because of its lower tight fitting form factor.

That, and they say you get what you pay for...but I don't know...I think more than the money or any other excuse, I just really do not like how the Kargomaster makes the 4dr jeep look...call me shallow...but... :/
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I talked to a guy that had a defender rack and snapped some pics of it.
He loved it and no drilling. I was thinking about just getting the mounts and building my own basket.

Quick Reply: Gobi vs Kargomaster