Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cb4017
Not a Rubicon but my JK does have the trailer towing package with 3.73 gears and limited slip diff. I plan on keeping the D44.

So are you keeping the D30 up front? What driveshaft conversions are needed?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, I think if you have the cash, that's a great move. Robbie spent a lot of time on the phone with me some time back and I'm convinced he's a good investment for this process. I live in an emissions area and he is well steeped in that knowledge and can deliver an emissions-friendly product (as much as the need for that sucks). Dig deep and you'll find few that can do or offer that.

If I ever get the ancillary cash to do so, I'd make the same choice as you.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesometree
So are you keeping the D30 up front? What driveshaft conversions are needed?
I'm doing a "budget build". My Jeep will be getting a low mileage 5.3L LMG engine and 6L80 transmission. My only option is a HD radiator as I'm in the high desert and do tow a small travel trailer at times.

Everything else remains stock. I'm keeping the D30 and stock driveshafts. With the 5.3 it should not be a problem. MoTech recommends upgraded driveshafts if going with a bigger engine.

My Jeep is not a rock crawler or a hot rod. It's my daily driver and spends a lot of time exploring the northern Nevada desert.

I love my Jeep. I've had it 9 years and it is getting to the mileage that the 3.8L engines are known to expire. Even though it's been well taken care of it is starting to exhibit some minor problems. I figure my options are to buy a new one or spend a lot less on the conversion. To buy and set one up like mine would likely be $40K to $45K and I would still have a V6. Or, do the conversion for a lot less and have a much better engine and transmission.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
I'm looking to do a Motech swap too in the near future. I would just like to hear from more California guys that have done it to get a better feel of the smog and compatibility and make sure there are no issues with DMV.
Aside from installing the kit properly and not cutting corners a few extra steps will get you through CARB trouble free.
-Use a GEN IV engine from your Jeeps model year or newer with matching ECU.
-Purchase a new full exhaust system from GM for whatever vehicle the engine came from.
-Retrofit the new exhaust including cats & o2 sensors in their original placement.
-Ensure EGR/EVAP systems are intact and in the original locations specified.
-Have a CARB BAR Referee inspect the swap, show them the purchase info for the engine and exhaust, noting that they match make and model.

After a 2 hour visual & dyno inspection if you have done everything correctly you will pass.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm doing a "budget build". My Jeep will be getting a low mileage 5.3L LMG engine and 6L80 transmission. My only option is a HD radiator as I'm in the high desert and do tow a small travel trailer at times.

Everything else remains stock. I'm keeping the D30 and stock driveshafts. With the 5.3 it should not be a problem. MoTech recommends upgraded driveshafts if going with a bigger engine.

My Jeep is not a rock crawler or a hot rod. It's my daily driver and spends a lot of time exploring the northern Nevada desert.

I love my Jeep. I've had it 9 years and it is getting to the mileage that the 3.8L engines are known to expire. Even though it's been well taken care of it is starting to exhibit some minor problems. I figure my options are to buy a new one or spend a lot less on the conversion. To buy and set one up like mine would likely be $40K to $45K and I would still have a V6. Or, do the conversion for a lot less and have a much better engine and transmission.
How many miles are on your 3.8?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my Motech 6.0 conversion now for 1 year and it's a great upgrade and worth it if you are planning on keeping your Jeep. As far as timeline to get it done I was initially told 3 months which ended up being 6. They did the shop move during this time which I'm sure slowed everything down but 2-4 weeks might be a bit optimistic unless they made some major changes.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's awesome!! I have the same set up. 08 JKU 30 front 44 rear with 3.73 factory tow package. I've always been interested in the LS swap but thought I'd have to change everything else as well. It's nice to know that I could do the swap in the future and upgrade the other components as $$$ allows. Thanks for the input. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
How many miles are on your 3.8?
Just hit 96K.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is the conversion ?
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update. My JK is at MoTech. Robbie says they need to finalize the wiring and do his test drive. Hopefully I will pick it up next week.

They've made a lot of improvements with their conversion in the last few months and have got their conversion to a bolt-in swap with no cutting or welding required.

Can't wait to get it back. I've been going through Jeep and desert withdrawals..
The following users liked this post:
Plumcrazy (09-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.