Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got my stock BFGs siped

Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmathis
My siped tires have been better in the snow and ice so far. I did mine using an Ideal Heated Knife, less than $70 on ebay. You can turn the blade one direction to groove the tires or reverse it cut two slits on each pass. It only took 1 hour of my time.

Scott
Thats how I did ours, it was ALOT easier then I thought it would be.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HahaJK
What does being siped mean?
Just because it wasnt quite covered completley here is the down low on siping.

Siping is the proces of placing small evenly placed cuts accross the tread surface of the tire around the full curcumfrence. Siping serves several purposes depending who you talk to, but the basics are as follows.
1. Siping provides more biting edges to increase traction on slick or smooth surfaces.
2. Siping the tires allows the tread blocks to flex more reducing heat and road noise.
3. Siping the tires allows the tire to last longer by allowing all tread surfaces to make even contact (or more so than stock) with the road surface.

Some things to remeber are this.
Siping should be done only be someone who is trained with the proper tools.
Using the old razor blade method can lead to premature failure of the tire.
Cutting to deep, beyond the tread layer, can cause premature failure of the tire.
Placing sipes (cuts) to close together can lead to premature failure of the tire.
Siping a tire may void the manufactueres warranty (i.e. Supper Swamper).

It has been my experience, (yes my experience and opinion only) that siping done properly will help a tire to last 10-15% longer and prvide a better driving experience.

EDIT: Typo
Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing to know about siping. The reason that it works well on ice is that when you're on ice, the pressure that you exert on it causes a miniscule layer of water to form. This layer of water is what makes it so slippery. All of those tiny grooves caused by siping give that water somewhere to go, and thus provide better grip on ice.

I live about 200 miles south of the OP, and I've got my stock MT's siped as well. I've been driving around in 6 inches of snow for the past three days, and they're working quite well. At least as well as a good AT like a BFG A/T K/O or Toyo M55.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
It has been my experience, (yes my experience and opinion only) that siping done properly will help a tire to last 10-15% longer and prvide a better driving experience.EDIT: Typo
I would have to say your analysis is dead on accurate!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillidge
I have my BFG's siped and it makes a huge difference. Paid 20$ per tire at the local Kal Tire shop.
I have noticed an improvment in wet braking and I am sure they will do 100% better in the snow!!!
I can't tell you if the improvement is 100% because I had mine siped before the first snow flew this year...but from what I was told about their winter on-road performance, it's a huge difference.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

I did mine the old fashioned way......I bought siped tires....
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I did mine the old fashioned way......I bought siped tires....
Showoff
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I am reading this correctly.

Sipping makes the tires last longer, less noisy, and better traction.

Why aren't all tires siped?

Is it as effective on All Terrain as it is on Mud Terrain? or does it matter?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CATCHONE
So if I am reading this correctly.

Sipping makes the tires last longer, less noisy, and better traction.

Why aren't all tires siped?

Is it as effective on All Terrain as it is on Mud Terrain? or does it matter?
Its actually quite simple. First most all season car tires are siped, those little groves in the tread blocks are sipes. The bottom line of why all tires arent siped comes down to two things, non-siped tires are easier to make, and manufacturers want their tires to wear down so you buy new ones. It is quite within modern technology to make a tire that performs fairly decently and will last the life of the vehicle, but if you did that you wouldnt sell many tires would you???????
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not convinced that siping will increase tire life...

On one hand I can see it reducing heat... but on another hand I could see it increasing heat:

Each lug is now flexing a lot more than it was before (possibly increasing heat within the rubber), and because of the increased number of edges, it's "gripping" the road more, which should also result in more heat.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I would think it'd decrease life.

Anyway, a question that I'm more interested in finding the answer to: What works better on ice: high tire pressure or low pressure?

Quick Reply: Got my stock BFGs siped