Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which grease to kill squeaks in polyurethane bushings?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which grease to kill squeaks in polyurethane bushings?

Well my JK was quiet but it has become noisy. The rubber bushings in the control arms seem quiet. Near as I can detect the squeaks are coming from the front and rear RE sway bar link bushings and front trackbar lower bushing which I am told are all polyurethane. Is there a grease that works better than others on poly? I've been told the grease needs to be synthetic or it will deteriorate the poly.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure they are not cracked?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

double check to make sure that the bolts are on tight. when the bolts get slightly loose, they can allow for the bushing to rotate as opposed to twisting if you know what i mean. when they rotate, this will cause them to squeak - this is very common. if after tightening them up, you still have squeaking, i would give this stuff a try:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...prod=PPL-15901
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In answer to your question.....

http://www.more-advanced-autosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18077
Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the biggest problem with after market suspension that no body uses the original or same quality bushings which come as stock. this might not be a big issue for people doing dry rocky tracks etc but if you are doing dirt and mud tracks all the time with some reasonable speed polyurethane bushings tend to fail, crack , squeek.

I have been using full traction lift changed the bushings twice, torqued all the time, apply white lithium grease but after some time squeek comes doesnt matter what.

my solution i have modified my control arms and replaced all the bushings with Original Nissan GQ suspension bushings which are a great success over here downunder.

will post some pics and details next week.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
Well my JK was quiet but it has become noisy. The rubber bushings in the control arms seem quiet. Near as I can detect the squeaks are coming from the front and rear RE sway bar link bushings and front trackbar lower bushing which I am told are all polyurethane. Is there a grease that works better than others on poly? I've been told the grease needs to be synthetic or it will deteriorate the poly.
Same problem here. Have noticed some squeaks recently. Guess I will check bolts as well.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't use white lithium grease. It won't last. Use high temperature synthetic wheel/bearing grease. I have not tried any of the above mentioned types of grease but they look like they may work. The only thing that I don't see on those is a temperature rating. You need something that can withstand high temperatures.

There are several manufacturers of the high temp synthetic wheel/bearing grease and you can get it at any auto parts store.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
double check to make sure that the bolts are on tight. when the bolts get slightly loose, they can allow for the bushing to rotate as opposed to twisting if you know what i mean. when they rotate, this will cause them to squeak - this is very common. if after tightening them up, you still have squeaking, i would give this stuff a try:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...prod=PPL-15901
The bushings seem to be in good shape and intact. There is no abvious looseness in the bolts but I can double check that and perhaps overtihten them a bit. I have some of that grease as I use it on my CTM ujoints; it is sticky stuff! But I have tried it and it seems to work initially but doesn't persist.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

The link Rob (Redneck Jeep) sends is a watercraft marine grease by Neo; it says it is excellent for polyurethane bushings.

I have tried the white lithium grease mentioned above and can concur that it doesn't work.

I did a google search asking a generic question about polyurethane bushings and sqeaking and we sure aren't the only ones with this problem as it seems to be common in vehicles with suspensions that get modified; even pure street vehicles. One frequent recomendation was "Johnson Evenrude Blue Marine Grease". It is supposedly of very high quality, persistent and eliminates squeaks. I'm going to go by the boat dealerss in town and see if the stock either the Neo or Johnson Evenrude and give it a try. Of course any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
The bushings seem to be in good shape and intact. There is no abvious looseness in the bolts but I can double check that and perhaps overtihten them a bit. I have some of that grease as I use it on my CTM ujoints; it is sticky stuff! But I have tried it and it seems to work initially but doesn't persist.
yeah, definitely try to over tighten the bolts. keeping them from rotating is really the better solution. in fact, maybe try pulling off the links, clean them with some brake cleaner to ensure they are grease free and then reinstall them tight.

Quick Reply: Which grease to kill squeaks in polyurethane bushings?