Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding/ rubbing noise when making a right turn

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding/ rubbing noise when making a right turn

I had a a Rubicon express lift installed by 4wheelparts and now I'm getting a grinding/ rubbing noise when I make a right turn and only in the morning when I first get on the road. After I drive for a little bit it goes away. I looked at my exhaust to see if its hitting anywhere but it isn't and all the bolts are tight. I took it back to 4wheelparts and they said the track bar bolt was kind of loose but as soon as I left the parking lot the noise was still there and I didn't feel like going back and arguing with the guy cause it didn't look like they wanted to help. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check U-Joints and ball joints.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Without being there to hear it/see it for myself (and not that I'm some jeep god/mechanic), I'm strictly just throwing this out there.... check the brake shield/plate - sometimes that gets bent a little, or pushed towards the rotor and makes a similar noise. If you're comfortable with it, take off your wheel, brake caliper, and rotor. Check around the wheel hub, ensure no debris, etc. Again, little steps here and there to pinpoint the issue.

Ball joints won't really make a "grinding" noise, more of a pop/bang. U-Joints - possible grinding, but if they were that bad, it wouldn't last long and boom - they'd blow up on ya.

Whatever you do, if you decide to check things out yourself - do one thing at a time and check again. This way, it'll help you pinpoint the source. You start doing 804767346 things, yea - you might fix it, but you could have saved time and/or added frustration. Plus, we all know damn well that sometimes after checking/adjusting something, it opens a can of worms! lol
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put your front axle on jack stands.

Turn the steering to a full lock right turn.

Spin your tires/wheels by hand.

Look and listen for the source of the grinding.

If the grinding is coming from the rear axle, put it on jack stands, put the tranny in neutral, spin the tires/wheels by hand, look and listen.

Grinding usually will leave some evidence--paint or finish rubbed off, gouged tires/wheels, etc.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Almost has to be lift related...I had the same noise on mine after I installed a lift recently and it was the upper track bar bolt and it was loose (I always leave some thing loose it seems) pulled it into my shop and hammered it home with the impact gun and good to go but the previous post was right just get her up in the air and start spinning the tires and visually inspect everything really good.i will even run my hand over everything to see if I feel anything out of place and check all the fasteners myself...BTW I have never had a problem with 4Wheelparts they have always been accommodating so you might wanna talk to the manager and I am sure they will remedy the situation!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for the good advice, I'm going to put it on jack stands this evening check the front end throughly cause the noise sounds like its coming from the front right and hopefully its something that I have been overlooking
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED
Almost has to be lift related...I had the same noise on mine after I installed a lift recently and it was the upper track bar bolt and it was loose (I always leave some thing loose it seems) pulled it into my shop and hammered it home with the impact gun and good to go but the previous post was right just get her up in the air and start spinning the tires and visually inspect everything really good.i will even run my hand over everything to see if I feel anything out of place and check all the fasteners myself...BTW I have never had a problem with 4Wheelparts they have always been accommodating so you might wanna talk to the manager and I am sure they will remedy the situation!
I'm not bashing on 4wheel parts they have been very helpful but when I took it in it seemed like they just wanted to push me out the door and maybe I just went on a bad day but I'm going to check every bolt again. Just don't really want to put an impact on it cause they mark every bolt with paint and just in case I have to take it back to them I dont want them to say I was messing with the suspension
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Just got done checkin out the jeep and with it up on jack stands I couldn't duplicate the problem but all the ball joints look good and there is no visible rubbing spots or loose bolts. I spun the wheel till my arms gave out lol and I couldn't get it to do the noise. The dust shield for the brakes is in its place and doesn't look bent. I even put all four corners on jack stands and and put it on 4 hi and turned the wheels and it won't do it
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

The only thing I saw out of the ordinary was this joint, its sitting crooked compared to the other 7 arms. Would this affect anything? Sorry for the newb questions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_170931.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	485842  
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fernjk27
The only thing I saw out of the ordinary was this joint, its sitting crooked compared to the other 7 arms. Would this affect anything? Sorry for the newb questions
Isn't there a bushing missing from there?

Quick Reply: Grinding/ rubbing noise when making a right turn