Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Handling Problem

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Problem

2008 2DR X model, recently we installed a 2.5" TeraFlex BB. when driving over train tracks or even a big pot hole or bump in the road the Jeep sways back and forth violently almost causing loss of control. Did i do something wrong when i installed it. I tighted the rear sway bar while the jeep was off the ground. then was told that you should tighten it while it is back on the ground, would this be the problem? any other ideas? Thanx
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure sounds like a track bar issue to me. You need to loosen and retighten your rear track bar on the ground, the front too if you removed it to put the pucks in place. You shouldn't be experiencing that amount of bump steer with 2.5 inches of lift.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

ok, I loosened and re-tightened the rear trac bar while the jeep was on the ground but it didnt move or anything so i dont see how anthing would change. drove the jeep and it still wobbles super bad over bumps and jerks the steering wheel. any other thoughts? do i need to move the trac bar when i loosen the bolt? should i take the trac bar right out of the bracket then put it back in and re-tighten it then? I checked everything else and it is all nice and tight still. any help would be great.

Thanx.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

There has to be something in the front end loose. Have someone lightly rock the steering side to side with the engine running (for power steering) while you watch the front end components. Look at both ends of the track bar, the drag link and tie rod ends, the ball joints. There should be no slack in any of the tie rod ends and the axle should not move at all relative to the frame of the jeep. There should be no movement at the trackbar mounts either. Next I'd double check all of the control arm bolts for proper torque.
Have had it aligned yet? Your caster may be out of spec and you may need to buy some cam bolts for the lower control arms. Did you recenter your steering wheel too?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everything is tight then you are experiencing the effects of low angle caster. When you put the front spacers in did you remove the upper coil spring cushion and then put the spacer in then the cushion back in? I did it wrong the first time and just put the spacer in without removing the cushion, which actually made the frontend sit a little higher. Unfortunately it also threw the jeep's caster (alignment) way out and was so close to 0 degrees that it was all over the road. Once I re-installed the front spacers properly with the cushions between the spacer and spring, it now handles better. The factory rake is back but I'll live with it til I get adjustable lower control arms. I spend too much time on the highway to have it jumping around and following every crack in the road.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

The jeep drives like it always did except when you hit a bump, then the whole jeep wobbles. I didnt touch the trac bar in the front. all i did was take the sway bar end links off and replace them with the quick diconnects. putting the front spacers in was easy, i just did one side at a time and they popped right in. probably only took me an hour. trac bar and control arms were never touched. i used the right up on here as a guide line because the TeraFlex in structions are pretty general, they only say to take this out and remove that without explaining how.

note: when i loosened the trac bar in the rear and re tightened it on the ground it did improve the wobble.

Thanx
Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

what size tire, are you running? how often do you wheel it? what kind of shocks are you running?....x2 on what bradleybob said about having someone move the steeringwheel back and forth.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

the wheels and tires are stock, it has never been offroad yet(SRA's suck). the shocks are the TeraFlex optional shocks that come with the kit. i cant see anything being worn out. it was just serviced like a month ago. the Jeep has only 10,000km's on it, there were no issues until the lift was installed.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

did you put the rear drop bracket in the back ??? for the trac bar
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

yup. it went on pretty easy with that template. i checked to make sure everything was tight in the front and the back. My wife said if its not fixed that its coming off!!! we cant have that. i thought it was the trac bar but i loosened it and retightened it while the jeep was on the ground.(dont see how it would help as the trac bar didnt even move) should i pull it out of the bracket then put it back in an tighten it again? anything to fix this. i dont wanna have to take it off. but if the boss says its gotta go.........

Thanx.

Quick Reply: Handling Problem