Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hanson Rear bumper install questions

Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hanson Rear bumper install questions

So I ordered my Hanson Read Bumper and tire carrier on monday and it showed up today. That is insanely fast from Cali to VA

Anyways, after I broke a brand new ratchet and box end wrench getting the u-haul hitch off, the install went fairly well.

I did, however, run into a few small and one major issue.

Small:
1. The adjustable rubber stop so the tire carrier doesn't rattle is threaded so far out there may only be 1 or 2 threads holding it in. When the carrier isn't against it, it wiggles to the touch.

2. The direction were a bit vague so I am not sure I used the correct hardware in the correct spot and I have a ton of hardware left over. Is this typical in an install like this?

3. I used to have the teraflex CB antenna mounting bracket but that is not an option now as the bracket is too large to fit behind the tire carrier. Where do people move their antenna to? Also, what about the 3rd brake light? I have my two wires hanging out of the grommet and no where to route them and nothing to attach them to.

Major:

My tire won't fit on the carrier. I lifted it up and it hits the hi-lift before I can get the studs trough the rim. I have the tire holding plate out as far as it will go and I am no where close to getting the tire mounted. If I move the hi-lift from the outside of the tabs to the inside of the tabs, it looks like it is going to hit my tailgate before it latches closed.

If anyone has any work-arounds or if they saw something I did wrong, please let me know.

Otherwise this bumper is an impressive piece of workmanship. I am betting it's more installer error that anything else.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am using that same bumer and it has been great. I hope I can help.

1. I am not really sure why the bump stop does not come out far enough. Mine is screwed almost all the way in and it works perfectly. Maybe contact Hanson for this or find a longer stud for the rubber bumper. Sorry I can't help with this one.

2. We had some extra hardware left over as well. If it is secure and everything seems to work properly that's all that matters, right?

3. I mounted my CB antenna on the tire carrier. If you look behind the tire mount there is a hole at the top, dead center behind the spare tire. This is where my antenna is mounted.

4. My tire barely fit at first (37 x 13.50). I have my jack mounted inside on the roll bar using brackets from Woods / Jeep Swag so I am not using the tabs on the tire carrier. To make the tire fit on the carrier better we took a rubber mallet and bent the two tabs (where you have your hi lift mounted) towards the front of the Jeep just a little bit. I thought about cutting them off, but with a hit or two from the mallet we had plenty of room for the tire.

I hope this helps.

Here is a picture of the bumper right after we got it mounted.

Here is the hi lift mounted using the brackets from Woods / Jeep Swag.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 08-21-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hanson/PUREJEEP Representative

Give us a call Monday. We would be more then happy to go over your install with you.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input Hot Duck, I will try the antenna in the middle. As for the hi-lift, I have to mount it outside as I have a 2dr so I dont think I can put it where you do and still have my soft top work.

Hanson, I will be calling on monday to see what kind of ideas you guys have as well. I don't doubt we'll get this figured out in no time!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just wanted to close this out, Hanson talked to me through e-mail and on the phone and got everything cleared up. It was my error on everything and they walked me through how to fix it all. Great bumper and customer service!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hanson/PUREJEEP Representative

Originally Posted by pettym
I just wanted to close this out, Hanson talked to me through e-mail and on the phone and got everything cleared up. It was my error on everything and they walked me through how to fix it all. Great bumper and customer service!
Glad we got that sorted out. If you have anymore questions feel free to call us back

Quick Reply: Hanson Rear bumper install questions