Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duratrac’s or KO2’s

Old 12-23-2017, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrac’s or KO2’s

I know this has been a debate in the past butI’m looking for some real world experience in specific conditions. I’m considering Duratrac’s or KO’s for a fairly light weight 2 door JK. Which tire works best on wet or slushy conditions with up to 2”-3” of snow covered pavement? This is a daily driver the makes trips to Michigan in the winter time.
Thanks!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll comment on the duratrac. I put them on my 2012 jku at 50,000 miles. I now have 46,000 miles on them. I rotated maybe on average every 15,000. Tread wear is great. They got noisier by 40,000 miles. I am very pleased with their traction in wet and snow, even after 46,000 miles. Other than the increase in noise over their life, I am very pleased with them. However, I likely will give another brand a try next time.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same for me but the BFGs. Never had luck with the goodyear tires. I have about 50k on my ko2s and just hit the wear bars on the tread this summer. We get lots of snow and lots of different kinds in northern Michigan and have never had a problem with the tires. They will pull you into puddles and slush but almost any tire that's 12.5 wide will.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

If you're looking for user opinions, here's a wide assortment.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ngler+DuraTrac

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rain+T%2FA+KO2

Old 12-23-2017, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the Duratrec 315s on at 13,000 miles, and about to hit 90,000 with plenty of wear left, however I do rotate all five tires so maybe that has extended their life and I don't wheel much. Due to their quality, decent performance, and long life, I don't think I could be convinced to buy any other tire for the life of my Jeep.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I ran Duratracs on my work truck when I worked in Kansas on snowy muddy back roads, and iced over small town streets they were amazing. Lasted for a long time as well. Don't have any experience with the BFGs, not a fan of BFGs, got stuck too many times with their older style all terrains.

As a warning, do not buy them from Tire Rack. No matter what their salesman says, or what it says on your receipt, their free road hazard does not apply to any LT tire. You don't find that out until you have a problem and they direct you to the fine print on their website, and then they tell you to have a nice day.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I previously had the Duratracs on my JK for about 45,000 miles. I have mostly good things to say about them. They were excellent as far as: wear, noise, traction (snow included), and looks! The only negative in my experience was their relative weak contruction ( I experienced sidewall cuts after fairly hard wheeling trips). The KO2s that I have now, I could say the same things about, BUT they havne't been subjected to the same "abuse" offroad yet. So we'll see..the verdict is still out..
Old 12-24-2017, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 28,000 on Duratracs. Outstanding in snow and excellent off road out here in the West. Mine are really noisy though which is my only complaint. I'm thinking of trying the KO 2's to get away from the noise. At a little over 28,000 K they have about 40% tread life left with a heavy V8 in the Jeep.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by scubatech
I have 28,000 on Duratracs. Outstanding in snow and excellent off road out here in the West. Mine are really noisy though which is my only complaint. I'm thinking of trying the KO 2's to get away from the noise. At a little over 28,000 K they have about 40% tread life left with a heavy V8 in the Jeep.
If noise is such an issue, I'd consider going with a more aggressive KM2. They are noisy, but not as noisy as other mud tires I've heard.

Anyone want to chime in on the noise level of KM2's at about the 30-50k range?
Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got 97,000 miles out of my first set of Duratracs. Have a bit over 82,000 on my current set. Never had an issue. Quiet and smooth running. Mostly road miles.
However I'm currently at 205,000 miles and am getting ready to put a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on it.

Quick Reply: Duratrac’s or KO2’s