Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone made a DIY hood lock?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone made a DIY hood lock?

I really do not want to pay for one.

I figure some of you may have made your own.

I did a search and only found one example that involved welding a nut onto the hood latch but I'd like to find an alternative.

Edit: I am also planning on putting in a hood pin switch hooked up to the tailgate or door wiring so that when the hood is opened when the alarm is armed... the alarm goes off.... anyone done that as well?

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 01-20-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory alarms come with the hood pin, there's a PN for it in the book of parts. Aftermarket alarms typically have a spot for it too and it can't be too expensive to add.

Hood lock.......but you don't want to pay for it? Recycle your old bicycle cable- that's about as cheap off as you'll get.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default try this!!

home depot Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCA8HRVDC.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	525520 $8.00 you cut the chain a few links off , bolt the chain end to your upper hood j hook bolt 7/16 I think it is? then mount the tumbler lock to the lowest place you can get on the left side frame next to the square hole the j hook passes through ! and use a toggle bolt in the exsisting hole of frame with washer underneath. and a small self tapper on other hole be sure your at the lowest spot, or the hood would be dented if you slammed it shut and it was high and hitting the hood. they work well and nothing to install and cheap just unlatch the factory latches and then slide the key in unlock the tumbler slide the slider tab over and open hood / you can toss that thing that attaches to the door in the trash you only use the chain and the lock if some one wants in they will get in no matter what you put there so it keeps honest people from thinking ill just take his battery he dosent need one ! and you from saying why dosent my jeep start today ?? or could have sworn this jeep came with a oil cap and a radiator cap too !

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-22-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
Factory alarms come with the hood pin, there's a PN for it in the book of parts. Aftermarket alarms typically have a spot for it too and it can't be too expensive to add.
From what i have read.... the hood pin is for the remote start system and not the alarm. As a safety precaution or something. So that the vehicle cant be remote-started if the hood is up.

I wonder if I could wire that pin switch into the alarm so that when the hood is opened the alarm (horn) goes off?

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 02-09-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know you do t wan to pay for a lock but if it's important to protect what's under the hood, then it's might be worth the investment. I've got the Tuffy Security hood lock. I think it cost around $45. It takes about 10 min to install. I like it a lot more than the others available. It also completely eliminates hood flutter. So you kill 2 birds with 1 stone
Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
home depot Attachment 525520 $8.00 you cut the chain a few links off , bolt the chain end to your upper hood j hook bolt 7/16 I think it is? then mount the tumbler lock to the lowest place you can get on the left side frame next to the square hole the j hook passes through ! and use a toggle bolt in the exsisting hole of frame with washer underneath. and a small self tapper on other hole be sure your at the lowest spot, or the hood would be dented if you slammed it shut and it was high and hitting the hood. they work well and nothing to install and cheap just unlatch the factory latches and then slide the key in unlock the tumbler slide the slider tab over and open hood / you can toss that thing that attaches to the door in the trash you only use the chain and the lock if some one wants in they will get in no matter what you put there so it keeps honest people from thinking ill just take his battery he dosent need one ! and you from saying why dosent my jeep start today ?? or could have sworn this jeep came with a oil cap and a radiator cap too !
Do you have any pictures of this installed? thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Default here is where it goes

Originally Posted by JDaPP
Do you have any pictures of this installed? thanks

This is attaching locations , If you can see through the road salt lol weathers been rough here ! The chain gets cut with 6 links still attached to the slider ( in the prior photo the slider is inside the lock tumbler so you dont see that piece)
The tumbler lock gets mounted to the left of the big square hole where j hook attached to your hood goes down through . About 5 inches to left is the lowest spot i found to screw it down . Use exsisting holes from factory ot drill your own ( you can see my tmbler lock is just sprayed with black spray paint . in pic .
Just attach the chain link to the 7/16 bolt on hood that secures the j hook. * done *

lower the hood slow slide the slider into the key tumbler and your locked/ slide hand in unlock with key while moving the slider out and your un locked .
you can now raise hood now. / its cheap lock system . but works well $ 8 bucks ( toss that bracket with the 4 mounting holes away & the few links of chain that wasnt used ) )Attachment 533770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751 (2).jpg
Views:	735
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	533772 last pic is what youl need chain with slider and the tumbler lock. When you buy the lock youl see how it works , simple

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-11-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Default heres how it goes better pic

the lock is $ 9.00 home depot Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779 (2).jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	536626Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780 (2).jpg
Views:	778
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	536627 leave 6 links on the chain
Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hood

I'm surprised jeep doesn't add an interior release and keep the hood latches for show...

of course no doors and no top defeat that, but still... lol
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
the lock is $ 9.00 home depot Attachment 536626Attachment 536627 leave 6 links on the chain
That is awesome. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Has anyone made a DIY hood lock?