Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Having to change driveshafts

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having to change driveshafts

I'm sure this is a dumb question but do you have to worry about changing out the rear dshaft on a jku when you lift it. I have about 4 inches total, and right now I don't have any issues with the stock but I'm kinda planning on eventually having to put a coast or t woods in it but I was just wondering if the rear usually needs to end up being replaced too
Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you should get a new rear driveshaft. 4" lifts put more stress than a stock shaft was designed for. Granted you can run stocks for a while, but they will eventually give out. The general rule of thumb is new rear DS at 4" of lift, and new front DS at 5"
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

With my 4" i had to get a new front driveshaft. The lift gave me 5.5" total. So i went with a cv style from pro comp. i still run my stock rear and i've had no issues yet. I've also got another rear stocker as backup just in case. I will eventually get another rear probably go with pro comp as well just for no other reason then that's what the guy i bought it from recommended.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Look at Coast driveline. They just came out with a new completely bolt on long travel driveshaft kit for jks and tjs.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a 4" lift, I doubt you'll need a rear - I have had mine one with 4" lift for 3 years with no issues. Front seems OK too, but I am keeping an eye on it (with a manual trans, automatics are a different story).

I'm running mine to failure, which is taking a while.

Also note that the lift will eventually settle a bit, so you'll most likely be at 3-3.5" in time and with weight like bumpers, etc...
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Yes, you should get a new rear driveshaft. 4" lifts put more stress than a stock shaft was designed for. Granted you can run stocks for a while, but they will eventually give out. The general rule of thumb is new rear DS at 4" of lift, and new front DS at 5"
Not true information. Your will lose your front driveshaft boot as soon as you disconnect and wheel it. Rear shaft will be OK with that lift.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Over 3" with an auto you should do the front for sure. The boot is going to rub and it will eventually fail if you actually use your rig. You should also consider the rear because the stock isn't as strong and if it hits on a rock or other obstacle, you could dent the sidewalls and cause some good damage as well.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replys guys. It's an auto. And I plan on using just trying to get essential stuff built up stronger before. What is everyone's opinion of the best brand to replace it. I know of coast, Tom woods, and je reel, pros cons? Also I see where coast has a new bolt on long travel but what is better, sticking with bolt on or going with one with yokes
Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

I would recommend front and rear shafts. I recently lifted my 2 door with a Teraflex 4" kit and actually got 5.5"s of height out of it. The front was at a terrible angle and almost rubbing the exhaust. I had the exhaust customized and that cleared the stock front shaft but the angle was crazy. I then purchased new front and rear shafts, only problem then was my shop added a couple degrees of caster to the front end so the Jeep would steer better, that made the front U-joint at a very high angle. With the new front drive shaft and that angle I would get some vibrations at @60 mph. I just went to the local shop and had them adjust the control arms so my caster angle is now 4.6 degrees. All seems OK now.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep at least do your front first

Quick Reply: Having to change driveshafts