Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help

Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Just had a 2.5in lift installed and now I have a bad pull to the left when driving. Went to have the alignment check and was told my rear track bar needed to be replaced. Can anyone validate this to be the actual cause versus a front track bar issue or something else. Just need a little guidance on what to do at this point.

Northridge 4x4
Old 11-05-2016, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A rear track bar will not cause your jeep to pull left or right, what it will do is cause your Jeep to crab down the road.

Even a track bar will not will not cause the pull.

Usually what causes a pull from my experience is having a bent tie rod, but you stated you had the alignment checked. I would verify the alignment by using a simple tape measure and a friend.

Mark the center of the front tread and repeat on the back of the wheel. Measure both sides and the front should be almost 1/4 inch narrower than the rear.

There is a sticky in the Modified Tech section of the forum that will tell you how to perform a DIY Front End Alignment.

The other issue may be the bigger tires you are running are actually catching crown of the road.

R/
Will
Old 11-05-2016, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrodriguez1127
Just had a 2.5in lift installed and now I have a bad pull to the left when driving. Went to have the alignment check and was told my rear track bar needed to be replaced. Can anyone validate this to be the actual cause versus a front track bar issue or something else. Just need a little guidance on what to do at this point. Northridge 4x4
Did you install new tires too? Trail Grapplers?
Old 11-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mds22
Did you install new tires too? Trail Grapplers?
His profile states that he has 35" Trail Grapplers.

Chances are that is the issue he is having. When I went up to the 35" TG I started having that issue on certain roads, but I knew through research that was going to happen.

R/
Will
Old 11-05-2016, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
A rear track bar will not cause your jeep to pull left or right, what it will do is cause your Jeep to crab down the road. Even a track bar will not will not cause the pull. Usually what causes a pull from my experience is having a bent tie rod, but you stated you had the alignment checked. I would verify the alignment by using a simple tape measure and a friend. Mark the center of the front tread and repeat on the back of the wheel. Measure both sides and the front should be almost 1/4 inch narrower than the rear. There is a sticky in the Modified Tech section of the forum that will tell you how to perform a DIY Front End Alignment. The other issue may be the bigger tires you are running are actually catching crown of the road. R/ Will
The bigger tires will definitely "catch" ripples in the road and you will notice them more. Once you get used to driving with the new tires it stops being an issue, that is you don't notice it anymore.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrodriguez1127
Just had a 2.5in lift installed and now I have a bad pull to the left when driving. Went to have the alignment check and was told my rear track bar needed to be replaced. Can anyone validate this to be the actual cause versus a front track bar issue or something else. Just need a little guidance on what to do at this point.

Northridge 4x4
Very likely not the cause of the pulling however, go ahead and check your rear track bar for any issues for peace of mind. Ensure your axle in centered under the jeep, and that both bushing are very tight with no play. Did the new lift come with a pressurized steering stabilizer like a bilstein?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Trail Grapplers do pull to the left due to radial pull. This is a known trait of these tires, and having ran them before, I can say that it is true. This may be what you are experiencing.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Whenever I had this issue it was the front trac bar bracket which cracked off of the axle (awesome i know) I would check the bracket to see and maybe go ahead and replace it while you're at it since the stock bracket is really weak for the job it has to do. I went with the synergy weld on bracket and it really did fix a lot of my steering issues. I hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Also if you haven't already done so, lowering your PSI might help quite a bit. Over-inflated 35's tend to be a bit flighty. 26-30psi should be the sweet spot.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have a different steering stabilizer installed?
Some are know to cause a push also.

Quick Reply: help