Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP with AEV 2.5 lift

Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with AEV 2.5 lift

So I'm installing this lift on my JK this Sunday,....weather permitting. I've got the control arm correction brackets as well as jks quicker discos. The instructions are pretty vague, but I'm confident ill get it done. I just have one question, and if anyone can help me out, that's be great. 2 of my coils are a bit longer than the other two? Are those the ones that go up front? Any tips/tricks/help would be fantastic!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

If they are like the OME ones yes longer skinny ones up front short fat tapered ones n back
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, according to their website, they're tailored exactly like the Original manufacturers equipment. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

To make it easier be sure to get a good spring compressor. My Old Man Emu's were a bit tight even with everything disconnected and just follow the directions it seems intimidating but its not really. Enjoy the fun
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have a buddy with a hydraulic lift i recomment it! Its alot easier! Theres a way to just drop the axle and the coils should slip right out. On the other note your local auto store rents out spring compressors or harbor frieght has them on the cheap just be careful and patient.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys! Unfortunately I don't know anyone with hydraulic lifts. Once I move into a place with a garage....or enough land to build one....ill definitely be getting one. Until then, I've got a a floor jack, and I'm getting two 6 ton jackstands. Hopefully ill have enough lift to drop the axel far enough. I'm excited...but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed. I just don't feel like spending 700$-1000$ to have my local shop do it. Are there any special tools I need? Instructions just say 3/8 drill bit (to install the bumpstop), and basic hand tools. Thanks again guys!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07redxunl
To make it easier be sure to get a good spring compressor. My Old Man Emu's were a bit tight even with everything disconnected and just follow the directions it seems intimidating but its not really. Enjoy the fun
Only reason a spring compressor would be needed is if the floor jack and jack stands are too short. With the stands set to about 17" the springs could have been a couple inches longer and still slipped in and out no sweat. That's without even disconnecting the drive shaft.

Rather than renting a compressor, use the rental $ to have the right jack and jack stands on hand. Its safer than a compressor and the whole job will be easier.

Here are some notes I posted after doing mine: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...jks-tf-242035/
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freewill

Only reason a spring compressor would be needed is if the floor jack and jack stands are too short. With the stands set to about 17" the springs could have been a couple inches longer and still slipped in and out no sweat. That's without even disconnecting the drive shaft.

Rather than renting a compressor, use the rental $ to have the right jack and jack stands on hand. Its safer than a compressor and the whole job will be easier.

Here are some notes I posted after doing mine: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...jks-tf-242035/
Alright, that link put my mind at ease a bit. Thanks for that! Im glad I won't have to disconnect the driveshaft. I notice there aren't any brackets for the rear end sway bar connects. I got the JKs quick discos, but will I need anything for the rear end?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
Alright, that link put my mind at ease a bit. Thanks for that! Im glad I won't have to disconnect the driveshaft. I notice there aren't any brackets for the rear end sway bar connects. I got the JKs quick discos, but will I need anything for the rear end?
I was able to put the AEV 2.5 inch lift on without disconnecting the drive shaft and just using floor jacks. The only problem I came across was having enough space on the passenger side front to install the shock with the boot holder.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
Good question. Apparently the rear swaybar just runs at a lower angle. The rear bar is much smaller/weaker than the front so I guess keeping it level is not that important. Nothing stopping a person from installing links that are "just right" however (if they are available).

Quick Reply: HELP with AEV 2.5 lift