Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Bad Steering Clink Noise (video link in post)

Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP! Bad Steering Clink Noise (video link in post)

Hey all,

I live in NJ and pot holes suck. I recently discovered my Rough Country Dual Stabilizer took a huge hit from something and shifted everything. I took it to my lift guy Mike at Baker Jeep here in Princeton. He's the one who installed it and came to the conclusion that something must have hit the stabilizer kit cause its whacked and there is a dent in the BACK of one of the stabilizers. Doesn't matter what hit it but here is my issue...

I noticed a significant turn radius difference. It turns nice and sharp to the left. But when I turn right, its almost as bad as a large truck. So I knew something was off and discovered my stabilizer issue. I'm getting a new kit on next week cause its cheap, but he is also going to look into a solution to make sure it doesn't shift.

LAST NIGHT when I was driving this started and I took this video when I parked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvAmoN--SO4

I have no idea what it is, but its steering related AND its not coming from the stabilizer or anywhere near it. It sounded like its coming from something else in the steering realm...any ideas experts??

Other than the noise and lack of turn radius, everything great on my JK
Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video doesn't show much. But I'd put some money on ball joints being worn out or your TREs might be loose. Check there first make sure everything is tight
Old 03-11-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
The video doesn't show much. But I'd put some money on ball joints being worn out or your TREs might be loose. Check there first make sure everything is tight
Hey, thanks for taking a look! appreciate that. It was snowing and 20 degrees when I took the video, haha. I tried my best. However, my JK has 16K miles on it...warn out!!! that scares me. But thanks for the point of reference!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Things ware out faster with bigger tires and weight. That's why it's important to upgrade certain parts prior to just throwing let's say 37s on all factory components. Now I'm not starting can you run 37s bs. Yes yes you can. Just a simple response to having bigger heavy things require other bigger heavier things. Driving style has a lot to do with it als
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do your steering test again and check the trackbar end on the axle side. It looks like your shop re-used factory hardware on the track bar install and it probably ovaled out.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Along the lines of Smudge's comment above, I've had a near identical sound twice now where the culprit was a slightly under-torqued TB bolt axle side. In my situation I use Fluid Film on my axle side TB joint....it was penetrating the threads and causing that bolt to start working loose. It didn't have to be under-torqued by much to start creating a popping sound very similar to that. I now use threadlock on that bolt.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Have some else turn the wheel back and forth while you put your hand on the dragline, track bar, tie rod, etc and you'll figure out where the play is coming from by feel if u can't locate it by sound.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
Do your steering test again and check the trackbar end on the axle side. It looks like your shop re-used factory hardware on the track bar install and it probably ovaled out.
^^this.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

my jeep just started doing this last week, I will have to check out what you guys listed to see if i can figure out where the noise is coming from.

Quick Reply: HELP! Bad Steering Clink Noise (video link in post)