Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help changing boot on drag link

Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's probably worth it to just pull the wheel for a little working space, specially if it looks like you might need to pull the TR on that side for clearance. Keep in mind once you get that bolt off, the DL isn't gonna just fall out. That is wedged up in a taper pretty good, so heed Monte417's advice above using some "persuasion" to get it out. Same with the TR if need be. You do not need to use threadlock when reinstalling. Just torque to spec. If the hole for the pin is blocked once torqued to spec, tighten a bit more till the next clearance (do not back it off just to get the pin through the hole).
Ok thank you. Can I use an impact wrench if I have access to one or can I damage something?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Ok thank you. Can I use an impact wrench if I have access to one or can I damage something?
If it's rusted over that bad, you might have to hold the stud with something and use a crescent wrench to turn the nut. Hopefully you're able to just use a socket with a breaker bar or impact and not have the stud turn on you. I'd prefer to just use a breaker bar and socket wrench myself. If you hit it with some PB blaster overnight, I'd think it's not going to give you that much trouble.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it's rusted over that bad, you might have to hold the stud with something and use a crescent wrench to turn the nut. Hopefully you're able to just use a socket with a breaker bar or impact and not have the stud turn on you. I'd prefer to just use a breaker bar and socket wrench myself. If you hit it with some PB blaster overnight, I'd think it's not going to give you that much trouble.
Thanks. I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow afternoon. I've been hitting with with Kroil so I hope it just comes right off.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks to all. Impact wrench got the nut off but the disconnect of the drag link to tie rod was very difficult. Finally I was able to borrow a fork from a friend who owns a trophy truck company and with just a little tap with that it popped right off. Had to use plenty of Kroil too but I'm not sure I could have gotten it off without that tool. It was pretty rusty. Cleaned it all up. All good to go. Thanks for all the help as always.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1753978134.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	669912  

Quick Reply: Help changing boot on drag link