Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding which gears are better for me???

Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just re-geard yesterday

Hi all had Drew formerly from Avalanche Engering now at BS Fab in Bayfield co do mine, 08 running 315 75 16, we decided to go with 5.13, while he had my jeep went to full Detroit in rear and lock rite up front. drove home to Farmington area and got 19.3 tach at about 1800 going 60, cant wait to hit Choke Cherry and really see what I can climb!! 5.13 gears are awesome, used my superchip to adjust accordingly, what a difference!! Would never change back to 3.73!!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy

Just to throwing this out there, those ECO marks on your tech, kinda went out the window when you lifted your jeep (less aerodynamic)/ put a heavier wheel and tire combo (more rotating mass). Honestly its better for your drivetrain because of the less amount strain put on it. More mechanical advantage causes less wear on the clutches and bands (high gears cause more friction because of more force being applied to do the same job) in your trans which keeps it running cooler (so less fluid and filter changes). Also, you drive a jeep, having a lil bit lower gear helps, especially if you actually wheel your jeep. And 300 rpm at 70 might use 1/100th of gallon more a mile, but like I said the more mechanical advantage could actually equalize it or actually improve your gas mileage. The lower the RPM is not always the better.
This is akin to the bicycle analogy I was referring to in my earlier post. Less work the engine has to do = less gas consumption.

Last edited by CBrNoMore; 01-19-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy
What was your gas mileage with stock tires? because that is pretty much what I get with a stock (for a week longer) 2010 Rubicon.
19 around town
22 hwy
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

I am currently going through the same exhausting deal bro! I have some Yukon 4.88's sittin in my room waiting to install, but scared to due to my 2011 6 Speed manual buring gas. Its my daily driver and with paying child $1000.00 in child support every month, I gotta watch what I do. I am thinking about 4.10's and stay with my 33" Goodyears or 4.56's. I would LOVE to put the 4.88's and 35" tires, but scared of how much gas I will burn. Been having the gears for 6 months or so and still have not installed them.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
I am currently going through the same exhausting deal bro! I have some Yukon 4.88's sittin in my room waiting to install, but scared to due to my 2011 6 Speed manual buring gas. Its my daily driver and with paying child $1000.00 in child support every month, I gotta watch what I do. I am thinking about 4.10's and stay with my 33" Goodyears or 4.56's. I would LOVE to put the 4.88's and 35" tires, but scared of how much gas I will burn. Been having the gears for 6 months or so and still have not installed them.
If you are concerned about fuel economy, wind resistance from speed, the weight of your rig, and the aggressiveness of your tires make way more difference than 4.88s with 35s will.

If you run lighter armor, lighter tires/wheels (maybe an AT or less aggressive MT, and drive slower, you'll get over 20 mpg at 55 mph, about 20 at 60, around 18-19 at 65, and around 16-17 at 70. If you drive 80 mph, your fuel economy will suck regardless of the gearing.

You'll need a tuner/programmer to adjust for tire size. The Superchips makes almost a full 1 mpg difference at 65 in our older JKs. I don't know what is available for the '11s.

JKs with lower gears (higher numerical) get better in town fuel mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

I've installed several sets of 4.56 gears in 2012 with 35"s, works great, 2400 rpm at 70, and I put 4.88s in the 12s with 37"s and the same great results. Mileage? We buy a brick shaped vehicle for mileage? I couldn't even tell you what my 08 JKUR with 5.38s and 40" MTRs gets.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
If you are concerned about fuel economy, wind resistance from speed, the weight of your rig, and the aggressiveness of your tires make way more difference than 4.88s with 35s will.

If you run lighter armor, lighter tires/wheels (maybe an AT or less aggressive MT, and drive slower, you'll get over 20 mpg at 55 mph, about 20 at 60, around 18-19 at 65, and around 16-17 at 70. If you drive 80 mph, your fuel economy will suck regardless of the gearing.

You'll need a tuner/programmer to adjust for tire size. The Superchips makes almost a full 1 mpg difference at 65 in our older JKs. I don't know what is available for the '11s.

JKs with lower gears (higher numerical) get better in town fuel mpg.

I drive my Jeep on the interstate, so at least 70mph is what I drive. I actually drive 65 since I can't use 6th gear at all, just to save some gas. Thats mainly done when I go to work and back every week cause there is nobody on the roads that early in the morning and I don't have to worry about gettin run over...lol. But when it comes to running with the traffic, driving 65 on the interstate can get scarey.
So I guess what your saying is that I should be OK with 4.88's and 35's? I don't ever look at driving 80 mph in my Jeep, but if I wanna run with the pack, 75 would be nice, knowing my milleage will suffer, but just knowing I can when I want is fine with me. I am so tired of trying to decide what to do it drives me crazy! I normally drive 70, but when I get in from offshore, I kinda wanna get home a little faster if ya know what I mean...lol My profile has everything I have put on it. Front and rear bumpers came out to about 200lbs more, a winch is coming soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just swapped in 4.88s. 2008 JKU auto 3" lift 35s and at 70mph on freeway I'm just under 2500rpm. Drives fine. If I slow down and cruise at 65mph I'm at 1500rpm which is fine by me. I'm not in a rush.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
I drive my Jeep on the interstate, so at least 70mph is what I drive. I actually drive 65 since I can't use 6th gear at all, just to save some gas. Thats mainly done when I go to work and back every week cause there is nobody on the roads that early in the morning and I don't have to worry about gettin run over...lol. But when it comes to running with the traffic, driving 65 on the interstate can get scarey.
So I guess what your saying is that I should be OK with 4.88's and 35's? I don't ever look at driving 80 mph in my Jeep, but if I wanna run with the pack, 75 would be nice, knowing my milleage will suffer, but just knowing I can when I want is fine with me. I am so tired of trying to decide what to do it drives me crazy! I normally drive 70, but when I get in from offshore, I kinda wanna get home a little faster if ya know what I mean...lol My profile has everything I have put on it. Front and rear bumpers came out to about 200lbs more, a winch is coming soon.
75 will be fine, but depending on hills and wind, you are likely looking at 15-16 mpg.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
JPB
JK Newbie

ok so let me see if i can sum up all of this info. and please correct me if i'm wrong.

1. If I ever plan to put 37's on this jeep, I should probably get the 4.88's.
2. I would probably get better MPG with 4.88 in town as opposed to 4.56.
3. 4.88's would cruise at higher RPM's on the Hwy (say at 75mph), but this is not so bad because of less strain on transmission/drivetrain and 200-300 RPM's higher doesnt really make that much of a difference.
4. Runnng 4.88's as opoosed to 4.56 on the Hwy at 70-75mph will not make much of a difference in MPG because of wind resistance, weight, tire/wheel setup, etc.

Are the answers to all of these statements yes for the most part..

Remember i'm pretty much on flat land, drive probably 90-95% in town, once in a blue moon go on a light to moderate trail (no rocks), mostly camping, fishing, and exploring type stuff.

I think i would "like" the 4.88 but I think for my purposes 4.56 will probably be the way I will go.... opinions happily accepted .Oh.. BTW are my statements correct?
Cheers

Last edited by JPB; 01-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Help deciding which gears are better for me???