Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help figure this out

Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help figure this out

After the lift and alignment everything was great and smooth. Just recently, when turning right from a stop 90 degrees, my steering wheel feels like I'm in 4hi on pavement. It jerks ever so slightly and feels like the tires are fighting me. Kind of like resistance, free, resistance, free until I come out of the turn. It only happens moving forward under power.

Happens less noticeably turning left.
Any ideas? What should I look for?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

You got bigger tires after lift?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkd1993
You got bigger tires after lift?
No, same 33's as before the lift. Tire pressures are equal, lug nuts tight. No vibrations just the weird 4wd in 2hi feeling. Almost like binding.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check and make sure the steering stabilizer is in the right position on the tie rod. If the mounting bracket was moved a little bit either driver or passenger, the steering would bottom out on the stabilizer.

Either it would bottom out against the main tube on the SS itself, or it will not full extend all the way, not allowing full movement of the steering wheel.

Easiest was to check is to have someone turn your steering wheel all the way driver, then all the way passenger, and you crawl under the front end (at same time) and see if it hits on either end.

Been there and done that.........
Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
check and make sure the steering stabilizer is in the right position on the tie rod. If the mounting bracket was moved a little bit either driver or passenger, the steering would bottom out on the stabilizer.

Either it would bottom out against the main tube on the SS itself, or it will not full extend all the way, not allowing full movement of the steering wheel.

Easiest was to check is to have someone turn your steering wheel all the way driver, then all the way passenger, and you crawl under the front end (at same time) and see if it hits on either end.

Been there and done that.........
I will check that Thx.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much lift? If the track bar is off in length, it will pull the axle to the driver's side if too short or push it to the passenger's if too long and mess with steering... just a thought.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Koloradokid
How much lift? If the track bar is off in length, it will pull the axle to the driver's side if too short or push it to the passenger's if too long and mess with steering... just a thought.
Everything lift kit wise is correct. This started happening a week after the alignment. 2.5" Coil lift.

Have I bent an axle or the houseing? I don't get any vibrations....

It is a very lite feeling, I could hold the wheel and fight it but it just kicks backs slightly mostly turning to the right and only under power. If i let off the accelorator its not as bad. Also, only when turning from a complete stop..example- pulling out from a parking spot or turning onto a road and accelerating.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

luckily I have a new Bilstien dampener coming this week and the woods relocation bracket. Hopefully that is the problem.

i'll update if that doesn't fix it.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

sounds like the same thing i have. i started this thread about it a while ago. i haven't noticed it much lately, but the other day while rotating my tires i noticed my steering box is leaking. there are a couple of pics here. that might be something you want to check out. i cleaned mine off to try to see exactly where it's leaking from and exactly how bad it is.

to the others, it's not a SS or any steering components rubbing on anything else. you can't feel grinding or hear anything, plus it gets more noticeable under heavier acceleration. my ball joints and wheel bearings are good and my u-joints looked fine although the rubber seals were slightly damaged on 2 or 3 caps. i also crawled around under the jeep quite a bit and saw no signs of contact between any components. hopefully someone finds the cause for this and a cheap fix for the cause. money is necessarily abundant at the moment
Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
sounds like the same thing i have. i started this thread about it a while ago. i haven't noticed it much lately, but the other day while rotating my tires i noticed my steering box is leaking. there are a couple of pics here. that might be something you want to check out. i cleaned mine off to try to see exactly where it's leaking from and exactly how bad it is.

to the others, it's not a SS or any steering components rubbing on anything else. you can't feel grinding or hear anything, plus it gets more noticeable under heavier acceleration. my ball joints and wheel bearings are good and my u-joints looked fine although the rubber seals were slightly damaged on 2 or 3 caps. i also crawled around under the jeep quite a bit and saw no signs of contact between any components. hopefully someone finds the cause for this and a cheap fix for the cause. money is necessarily abundant at the moment
Man, I hope that's not the problem but it sure seems it could be a cause.

Quick Reply: help figure this out