Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help - Jeep is leaning to the right

Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Jeep is leaning to the right

For starters, Clayton 4.5" lift with 37s on an Unlimited Rubicon. Front and rear adjustable track bars.

So I was walking out of the store yesterday, coming up on the JK from behind, and I thought it looked a little strange, like it was leaning to one side. Well, it turns out it is. The passenger side is about 1.5" lower than the drivers side. I figured I spent the weekend on the trail and perhaps I missed something on my once over before leaving the trail, so I did a quick check of the suspension. Everything is nice and tight, springs and shocks are seated properly, nothing looks broken. Then I drove home. Not much I could do. I won't have time to look at it again until tonight or tomorrow. Considering that the springs are all seated properly in their perches, and no suspension components are missing or damaged, what could be the cause of this sagging? The truck is empty with about 1/3 tank gas. Could the springs be sagging already? They are less than a year old, and I have a hard time believing that they would suddenly have this much sag, and then only on one side. Did I hit full spring bind on the trail and wear them out? I could see it happening with one, but the whole side is lower, front and back, and the bump stops are in and I don't see getting full spring bind. Does my g/f need to shed a few lbs? Are the shocks at fault? Ride height should be the same with or without shocks. Sway bar links are the same length right and left, but that shouldn't matter anyway.

So, help me out here. What am I missing or forgetting? What could be the cause of the passenger side riding lower? Anyone else had this happen?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That weird that it sits that much lower, jk's typically sit a little lower on that side just cause the weight of the gas tank and battery etc. but ive never heard of that low with just 1/3 tank of gas. Wish i could help you out
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your rear spring indexing.
You have a taller lift and adjustable arms so I'm assuming you rotated your rear end for driveshaft/pinion alignment. If you still have the factory spring mounts on your axle housing the entire spring does not rest on the mount anymore so.... if the spring was rotated when you were offroad the one spring can compress more now than before. It is very likely at full flex the decompressed spring is not under any tension and it is possible for it to rotate.
Check the pic out below, for max height place the ends of both springs as shown.

When I first installed my lift in my haste I installed each spring 180 degrees out from each other so with one side compressing more than the other I had major lean.

Last edited by toymaster; 09-22-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toymaster
Double check your rear spring indexing.
You have a taller lift and adjustable arms so I'm assuming you rotated your rear end for driveshaft/pinion alignment. If you still have the factory spring mounts on your axle housing the entire spring does not rest on the mount anymore so.... if the spring was rotated when you were offroad the one spring can compress more now than before. It is very likely at full flex the decompressed spring is not under any tension and it is possible for it to rotate.
Check the pic out below, for max height place the ends of both springs as shown.

When I first installed my lift in my haste I installed each spring 180 degrees out from each other so with one side compressing more than the other I had major lean.
GOOD CALL

Quick Reply: Help - Jeep is leaning to the right