Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Major JK Death-wobble with TeraFlex 3" Lift

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Major JK Death-wobble with TeraFlex 3" Lift

I installed a TeraFlex 3" Full-Flex lift last fall on my JKU Rubi, and when I had TeraFlex do the "tuning" I was talked into the HD front track bar and TF's steering stabilizer (to prevent death-wobble). I'm still running stock wheels and tires. Over the last few months my Jeep has developed a rather severe case of the dreaded Death-Wobble from about 45-55 mph. VERY Scary at those speeds, to the point I was shaken off the road over the weekend. Over the last couple months I've checked wheel balance, every control arm, steering linkage, and every other connection I can think of (several times) and everything seems to be tight, in place (no signs of movement), and without slop.

So...does any one have any ideas I can try? I've had death-wobble on previous Jeeps, but they've all had older components and larger tires. Frustrating trying to sort this one out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

when did you last retorque the front tracbar?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkfanatic
when did you last retorque the front tracbar?
And have you checked it to make sure the mounting hole has not been ovaled out?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Great I am installing a 3" Tera Full flex kit as we speak, and will have 35's on it. I have read the write up on here about Death Wobble and seeing these posts really get me worried... I am very interested what you find out to fix it, subscribed!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat wish you luck finding the problem. We are still trying to fix ours too Somebody told us to loosen everything and jump and down on the front bumper than retighten. We are going to try this tonight. The thread I started is a couple down from yours. titled "death wobble AGAIN" some tips are in there if you want to look.

Last edited by kashlak; 08-01-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

if all was well before, get your torque wrench and start checking everybolt. I had similar mystery and I was able to find it using the torque wrench and checking every bolt as soon as i felt the beginning of the wobble.
If I checked it using only a socket wrench, everything felt tight. What I found was a nut that was cross threaded after a "dial-in tune" at a local shop. It would torque, but with time would loosen just enough to cause issues under load.
Good luck, hope all the tips help.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

I think it's time to start a "death wobble" stickey.

First re-torque everything and rotate tires. If that doesn't help, I would recommend taking the track bar off and check the mounting holes.

There is another thread goin, on page three a guy had one of the holes start to oval out. It could also be a bad bushing, which will eventually cause it to oval out. I'm on my phone so I can't get the link right now.

Also grab the tie rod and try to move it around. It shouldn't move.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevyguy1450
I think it's time to start a "death wobble" stickey.

First re-torque everything and rotate tires. If that doesn't help, I would recommend taking the track bar off and check the mounting holes.

There is another thread goin, on page three a guy had one of the holes start to oval out. It could also be a bad bushing, which will eventually cause it to oval out. I'm on my phone so I can't get the link right now.

Also grab the tie rod and try to move it around. It shouldn't move.
There is a write up already on DW under the write up section. Takes you through step by step but my husband is so frustrated right now with mine. He read every page of that thread and still can't find the problem. I am hoping everything just needs to be retorqued since it was okay for 2 months will check that bushing too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles

Last edited by kashlak; 08-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GearWhore
I installed a TeraFlex 3" Full-Flex lift last fall on my JKU Rubi, and when I had TeraFlex do the "tuning" I was talked into the HD front track bar and TF's steering stabilizer (to prevent death-wobble). I'm still running stock wheels and tires. Over the last few months my Jeep has developed a rather severe case of the dreaded Death-Wobble from about 45-55 mph. VERY Scary at those speeds, to the point I was shaken off the road over the weekend. Over the last couple months I've checked wheel balance, every control arm, steering linkage, and every other connection I can think of (several times) and everything seems to be tight, in place (no signs of movement), and without slop.

So...does any one have any ideas I can try? I've had death-wobble on previous Jeeps, but they've all had older components and larger tires. Frustrating trying to sort this one out.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your tires. How many miles do you have on them and your stock balljoints?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

bushings are defiantly another thing to inspect... i just had to replace all of the bushings from my RC shocks. RC sent them to me free of charge which was nice.

Quick Reply: Help! Major JK Death-wobble with TeraFlex 3" Lift