JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Help me decide RockKrawler or Metalcloak (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/help-me-decide-rockkrawler-metalcloak-262606/)

GJeep 06-02-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2 (Post 3409512)
Besides running coilovers and metalcloak shocks, there are no shocks on the market that will compete against OME Long Travel shocks. For the money, they are the best hands down.

Suspension.... you don't need a long arm at that size lift as nothing will be binding......

High Steer will kill your uptravel and it would be a waste to buy if you bought metalclock shocks.

I agree with every word.

Well, almost...
Besides the Metal Cloak 6Pak shocks and the OME, Fox shocks are excellent (zero complaints on my Fox, on the second Jeep now), and King shocks are considered to be even better.

cluelessJK 06-02-2013 01:06 PM

I'm in this same debate for my '12 two door. I really like what both companies have to offer!!

BoogieMan 06-02-2013 01:41 PM

Any thoughts on the EVO front/rear DTD shocks verses the MetalCloak 6Pak shocks?

bbrown626 06-02-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BoogieMan (Post 3573429)
Any thoughts on the EVO front/rear DTD shocks verses the MetalCloak 6Pak shocks?

Isn't DTD coilovers and pypasses along with EVO Lever?

BoogieMan 06-02-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by bbrown626 (Post 3573578)
Isn't DTD coilovers and pypasses along with EVO Lever?

Yes. From what I've read, it comes with the rear DTD kit.

EVO MFG is now shipping the rear EvoLever and Double ThrowDown sub frames with the bushing and pivot points preassembled and lubricated .This simple process will help ease the install and insure proper set up of the pivot points. Now the installer will be able to install this product faster which means you can enjoy all these great benefits of the Evo Lever Sooner.

BoogieMan 06-03-2013 08:43 AM

Bump.........

JKred 06-03-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoogieMan (Post 3573429)

The DTD is a cantilever rear, standard over axle front coilover/bypass shock system that is really most beneficial desert racing and high speed.

The 6pak shock is a floating body dual piston internal bypass shock designed to give exceptional overall travel out of standard coil/shock brackets. Significantly less evasive install.

Apples compared to marinated steak tips.

chris@offroadevolution 06-05-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by JKred (Post 3574302)

The DTD is a cantilever rear, standard over axle front coilover/bypass shock system that is really most beneficial desert racing and high speed.

The 6pak shock is a floating body dual piston internal bypass shock designed to give exceptional overall travel out of standard coil/shock brackets. Significantly less evasive install.

Apples compared to marinated steak tips.

I think you forgot about its awesome rockcrawling capabilities with 14" of usable wheel travel..

The cantilever is not evasive install. All the brackets are welded to the frame external of the body

JKred 06-05-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution (Post 3576569)
I think you forgot about its awesome rockcrawling capabilities with 14" of usable wheel travel..

The cantilever is not evasive install. All the brackets are welded to the frame external of the body

Nope didn't forget about it, just didn't mention it. But compare that to the metalcloak shock, which has 12-16" of shock travel depending on model. Metalcloak claims combined with their dual rate springs you can use all of that travel without unseating a spring, which should translate to at least 14"+ of wheel travel, all out of factory brackets. Since we're ignoring linkage type (long arm or short arm), I think it's safe to say from a travel standpoint only they're similar. I'm no metalcloak fanboy, but just looking at the advertised numbers that appears to be the case.

And from a general standpoint it's safe to say since the vast majority of Jeepers can not weld themselves, the process of welding in brackets is an evasive install, and IMO a more permanent alteration. Me personally I don't care I'll cut and weld all day, but it's something to think about when considereing differences.

Differences....

DTD: As I said before, combined coilover/bypass shock on all 4 corners, front standard outboard frame over axle, rear cantilever tucked up into frame. Lots of welding. Adjustable ride height, 14" travel (according to chris, which I believe), tunable compression/rebound rates from two independent sources, as well as position compression and rebound adjustment based on the bypass shock (translates into highly tunable ride, could cost a lot of money if you do not have the tools/knowhow to tune yourself). The coilover/bypass shock if tuned right will work great on road and highspeed, but there isn't any real benfit to having the bypass at low speed crawling IMO. Quite a few parts in the rear setup, but neatly packaged to provide a lot of travel without altering the body or frame.

MC: Dual piston/floating body bypass shock with dual rate spring. Lots of travel out of stock brackets, the most shock travel on the market when comparing compresse length (16" travel is something like 15" compressend length shock) to my knowledge. Tunable compression and rebound. Non tunable spring. Non adjustable ride height. Lots of moving parts in the shocks, still relatively new. Lot's of things to fail (though no proof that there are many failures if any yet). Should handle highspeed failry well. Will provide lots of travel for low speed crawling.

So it really becomes a question of what do you plan to do with your jeep, and what can you afford.

:beer:

brianporter05 06-05-2013 08:30 AM

Metal cloak has excellent customer service if there is a failure in there shock im sure they'll fix it

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum