Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me pick a new rear bumper / tire carrier in the $900 price range.....

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a new rear bumper / tire carrier in the $900 price range.....

I need to find a bumper / tire carrier combo pretty quick and it has to be under $900.
I was in a minor accident last week and my insurance company is allowing me to substitute replacing the factory bumper / tire carrier with an after market one as I'm getting my jeep fixed at one of their facilities.
Some things that I need.....
Must be able to hold a 35" tire.
Must have a tow hitch or be able to be used in conjunction with a factory hitch. If hitch is incorporated into new bumper it must be strong enough to tow 2 wave runners on a double trailer. 2000+lbs.
I would prefer a model that opens with the tailgate.
I liked the one made by ACE but the lead time is 6-8 weeks.
Also, I have a 1.25" body lift, not sure if this would make a difference when installing a new bumper / tire carrier.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the rancho rear tire carrier. It is a cheap alternative that works great. It took a little more effort to get it fitted properly, and it does not open with the tailgate, but for 600 it does just what it is intended. As a bonus it holds a hi lift as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smittybilt XRC falls in that price range..... Looks pretty good.... Mixed reviews cause it's Chinese
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoD meets your specs and is made in the USA. It will take a few weeks though.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Check out the ACE rear bumper. It's a fairly new company and is under $700 before shipping. It's rated for up to a 38" tire too.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask ACE before buying if the lift is even compatible as the carrier connects to the tailgate.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

As Keith said, you may have a problem lining up everything due to the body lift. I'm not sure which products are vertically adjustable (if any?). Check with each manufacturer first before pulling the trigger on anything.

If all else fails, call Northridge4x4 and buy just the Teraflex Adjustable Tire Carrier (they had one or two left as of yesterday morning). It will hold a 35" by itself, but you could always add the Teraflex HD hinges in November for extra support/strength. You can then combine it with any bumper you wish at a later date, or just find a take-off stock bumper in the forum classifieds for little or no cost.

If I were you, I'd just ask for a $900 check instead of the repair. That way you could take your time and do it yourself. Did they not offer you that option?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being you have a body lift, the TeraFlex rear carrier would be a great option. I sure am happy with mine
Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 AM
JK Super Freak

XRC series here...Awesome product...In that price range also...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbrown626
LoD meets your specs and is made in the USA. It will take a few weeks though.
Tell me where I can get an LOD bumper and carrier combo for under 900. I'll be all over that..

Quick Reply: Help me pick a new rear bumper / tire carrier in the $900 price range.....