Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with my winch mount?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my winch mount?

I have a question that I hope somebody can help me with. I have an 08 Wrangler 2 door. I am ordering a Smittybilt XRC8 winch for it. I have been planning on building a front bumper for my Jeep for a while. My plan is to build a simple stubby bumper using 6x6 angle and bolting that directly to the frame, much like the steel channel that is under the stock bumper. By using 6x6 angle, that shoudl give me plenty of flat surface for my winch to sit on top. So, here's my question:
Will the stock bumper mounting location, at the end of the frame rails, be enough support? Do I need to bolt the bumper to the top of the frame rails too? Can I just bolt the winch on top of the bumper? My concern is that when I am winching, I will have a lot of force pulling on the frame mounts where the bumper bolts on. It will be 5/16" steel angle, so I'm not really concerned about it bending. However, I am concerned about the frame mounts not being strong enough to support the winch when it's pulling against it. Has anybody else done anything else like this? Can you send me some pictures?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bone
I have a question that I hope somebody can help me with. I have an 08 Wrangler 2 door. I am ordering a Smittybilt XRC8 winch for it. I have been planning on building a front bumper for my Jeep for a while. My plan is to build a simple stubby bumper using 6x6 angle and bolting that directly to the frame, much like the steel channel that is under the stock bumper. By using 6x6 angle, that shoudl give me plenty of flat surface for my winch to sit on top. So, here's my question:
Will the stock bumper mounting location, at the end of the frame rails, be enough support? Do I need to bolt the bumper to the top of the frame rails too? Can I just bolt the winch on top of the bumper? My concern is that when I am winching, I will have a lot of force pulling on the frame mounts where the bumper bolts on. It will be 5/16" steel angle, so I'm not really concerned about it bending. However, I am concerned about the frame mounts not being strong enough to support the winch when it's pulling against it. Has anybody else done anything else like this? Can you send me some pictures?
IMO, I would get my hands on a winch plate, mount winch to that, mount plate to frame rails and then move forward with the custom bumper.

6" is not going to give you enough real estate to bolt the XRC8 down properly. Your bolt holes will be very close to the edge of the steel.

Quick Reply: Help with my winch mount?