Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Teraflex Noise

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Teraflex Noise

hey guys i could really use some input. my wife has a TF 2.5 BB on her '11 jk, that is making a lot of noise, some days more than others, and i cant seem to pinpoint it. any little bit of articulation causes a metallic snap-like sound, even so much as backing out of the driveway. i get under there every couple of weeks and check tightness of everything and everything seems to be just fine. her jeep is never really used hard or abused, a few trails here and there but thats about it( thats what my rubi is for haha). so i guess my biggest question is, is this noise common, or is something about to break? I even went as far as to have the suspension checked out and they said everything was fine, so im at a bit of a loss...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely not a common sound. Possibly something wasn't torqued or installed correctly during install? Did you do the install yourself? If so I think I would get it back on jacks and go through loosening and re-tourquing all your front end components (track bar, lower control arms, sway bar links) to ensure nothing is binding or rubbing. When you did the install did you loosen your control arm bolts and track bar bolts when you put in the springs? And if so, did you wait until the jeep was completely on the ground before you torqued them?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

yes i did all of it myself, and i was sure to torque everything to the proper specs, but you bring a good point, i DID NOT wait until she was back on the ground to re-torque... i have off work the next few days so i think i just found my project
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thrillbilly
yes i did all of it myself, and i was sure to torque everything to the proper specs, but you bring a good point, i DID NOT wait until she was back on the ground to re-torque... i have off work the next few days so i think i just found my project
Ya I would try put it up, loosen lower control arm bolts and (axle side) track bar bolt then put it down and torque them up and see if that fixes the noise.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default track bar relocation bracket

If you installed yourself and werent perfect drilling in the trackbar relocation bracket....it will move. This will cause a popping sound. gets worse with a bump and some speed. not much you can do...i have this problem. otherwise this system is great for the cost.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

thanks a lot, i'll give that a shot for sure
Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigDumGuy
If you installed yourself and werent perfect drilling in the trackbar relocation bracket....it will move. This will cause a popping sound. gets worse with a bump and some speed. not much you can do...i have this problem. otherwise this system is great for the cost.
If your problem is caused by that bracket you could:
1) Have it tack welded to avoid movement.
2) Ditch it and get an adjustable track bar.
You can also check the condition of the bushings on the sway bar links, that could also be the culprit....
Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aldaman
If your problem is caused by that bracket you could:
1) Have it tack welded to avoid movement.
2) Ditch it and get an adjustable track bar.
You can also check the condition of the bushings on the sway bar links, that could also be the culprit....
i think i did ok on the bracket, not sure how tight the tolerance is though... as far as the bushings, how can i tell if theyre done? and if they are, do they make a good replacement? or just pick up another set of oem links?

Quick Reply: Help! Teraflex Noise