Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi running Rich

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi running Rich

Hey everyone !!
Well as the thread states im dying to find out why the hell is my hemi powered JK running rich ?? I finally got the tranny ti shift the speedo to work.
As soon as I start it it sounds odd and it sends shivers throughout the jk. When it gets some heat it starts choking and i can smell fumes. And ofcourse the black smoke coming from the exhaust. Missfire stops at high revs or near WOT as well as the rich condition.
Got a couple of codes
P0073 Ambient Air Temp Sensor Circuit High input
P0300 random missfire
I checked o2 sensors and connectors all seem to be good. The only thing thats not connected is the EVAP purge valve. Could it be the purge valve ? Tune issue ?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad iat sensor? If its a map run vehicle it will send scrambled signals to the pcm for air/fuel. Evap doesnt affect performance. Are you using a tuner? If not, try the diablosport trinity and get a custom dyno tune like i did. My jeep runs smoother and with more power/mpg since my tune. I still want to do a couple more hours and tweak my shift points. Its not cheap though. $200hr at my shop. But my mpg improvement pays for itself in the year i bet.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Has the engine been sitting for a while? When I did mine it had sat for a while and one of the injectors was stuck. It fixed itself after driving it for about 10 miles.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Bad iat sensor? If its a map run vehicle it will send scrambled signals to the pcm for air/fuel. Evap doesnt affect performance. Are you using a tuner? If not, try the diablosport trinity and get a custom dyno tune like i did. My jeep runs smoother and with more power/mpg since my tune. I still want to do a couple more hours and tweak my shift points. Its not cheap though. $200hr at my shop. But my mpg improvement pays for itself in the year i bet.
If its an IAT sensor wouldnt it throw a DTC ? No im not using a ECU included in the BOR kit. Would a tuner fix my issue with a 2012 + kit ? Heard that the 2012 ecus are locked. Which kit have u used ?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

It will throw a " lightning bolt " indicator on the dash. But maybe with the hemi/ecu hybrid you have it may not. Diablosport makes the trinity for 12+ wranglers. Completely tuneable at a DS tuning facility.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Im using the diablosport trinity in my 2011. Same ecu as your 12. If you kept your stock ecu and not the one provided that may be your issue. How long have you been driving it like that? Is it a brand new swap?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

It will throw a " lightning bolt " indicator on the dash. But maybe with the hemi/ecu hybrid you have it may not. Diablosport makes the trinity for 12+ wranglers. Completely tuneable at a DS tuning facility.
Great then I guess my issue is a tune issue cause no lightning bolt light on the dash. There is something I cant get my mind around. With a Diablosport, would you select a wrangler as a base to set up ? Or would u choose any 6.4 powered platform ??
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk958
Great then I guess my issue is a tune issue cause no lightning bolt light on the dash. There is something I cant get my mind around. With a Diablosport, would you select a wrangler as a base to set up ? Or would u choose any 6.4 powered platform ??
DS will have 6.4 tune available in the trinity but with your stock pcm it probably wont marry to a 6.4 application. ( srt8 ) thats something you need to either talk to DS about or your installer.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 AM
JK Newbie

DS will have 6.4 tune available in the trinity but with your stock pcm it probably wont marry to a 6.4 application. ( srt8 ) thats something you need to either talk to DS about or your installer.
What if it was a locked pcm ? Big problem small problem ?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 AM
JSS
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What Computer are you using? does it have four connectors or just two. Do you have a scan tool, can you check your long term and short term fuel trims.

Quick Reply: Hemi running Rich