Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hi-lift jack vs 12 ton bottle jack?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi-lift jack vs 12 ton bottle jack?

okay first my specs 4.5 inch aev lift with 35s...before u ask yes i will be going to 37s once i re-gear.

I either want a hi-lift jack or a bottle jack. Leaning towards a bottle jack anyone disagree?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Neither if you're looking to jack up to change a tire or do some work while on the trail I suggest the X-jack

Much Safer
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi-Lift for me all the way. I have had many times where I am stuck and need to lift vertical which I can't do with my wench. I put a small strap through my wheel and use the hi-lift to get it up and get rocks underneath the wheels. It would be impossible to do that with a bottle jack. I can lift from anywhere on the outside at different angles from bumpers, rock sliders, etc. You can also use the hi-lift as a wench or spreader and is probably the most versatile recovery tool you could own. Just my two cents.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide9
Hi-Lift for me all the way. I have had many times where I am stuck and need to lift vertical which I can't do with my wench. I put a small strap through my wheel and use the hi-lift to get it up and get rocks underneath the wheels. It would be impossible to do that with a bottle jack. I can lift from anywhere on the outside at different angles from bumpers, rock sliders, etc. You can also use the hi-lift as a wench or spreader and is probably the most versatile recovery tool you could own. Just my two cents.
I agree x2
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

I agree x2
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

As pointed out, a Hi-Lift has so many other uses than changing a tire. But, changing a tire is best done with a different jack--in many off-road situations, the Jeep can be at very precarious angles on uncertain surfaces and a Hi-Lift might shift or fall. So, I carry a small floor jack under my rear seat. And a block of wood to let it work under my 2.5" lift on 35s. If space is a problem, you might look at one of the exhaust air (balloon) jacks.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make darn sure that 12 ton bottle jack is secured tightly before I went anywhere. I'd hate to see what it would do if you ever wrecked or rolled!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Default Hi there need a Lift?

A bottle or tall scissors jack is easiest and safest if you can get it under your axle. Perfect if you are changing a tire or doing repairs on a firm, flat surface. NOTE: ALWAYS do repairs, even tire change, on a firm, flat surface. Personally, I have that solid orange plastic block thingy so I can use the stock jack for this purpose with my 35s.

On the other hand, bogged down in mud to the axles or stuck on rocks you need a tool that can work from beside the Jeep using bumpers (assuming you have solid metal bumpers), rails or even lifting your tire from above. That's where you need a recovery jack like the Hi-Lift. I don't have one yet, but it's on my wish list.

Don't compromise. You need 2 different jacks for 2 different purposes. Neither one does it all.

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 09-13-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
A bottle or tall scissors jack is easiest and safest if you can get it under your axel. Perfect if you are changing a tire or doing repairs on a firm, flat surface. NOTE: ALWAYS do repairs, even tire change, on a firm, flat surface. Personally, I have that solid orange plastic block thingy so I can use the stock jack for this purpose with my 35s.

On the other hand, bogged down in mud to the axels or stuck on rocks you need a tool that can work from beside the Jeep using bumpers (assuming you have solid metal bumpers), rails or even lifting your tire from above. That's where you need a recovery jack like the Hi-Lift. I don't have one yet, but it's on my wish list.

Don't compromise. You need 2 different jacks for 2 different purposes. Neither one does it all.

Good advice I will start saving for both
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by stuozzy
okay first my specs 4.5 inch aev lift with 35s...before u ask yes i will be going to 37s once i re-gear.

I either want a hi-lift jack or a bottle jack. Leaning towards a bottle jack anyone disagree?
I'm for the 12 ton bottle jack, last time I used my Hilift jack was 1982. Used the winch quite a few times I figure most times somebody in our group is still carrying a Hilift jack so I don't half too

I carried it for a while but opted for the bottle jack and a slick HF aluminum jack I modified for the dirt. Floor jack is mounted in the JK so no flying around, still need to mount the bottle jack

Quick Reply: hi-lift jack vs 12 ton bottle jack?