Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high tuck exhaust?...but is it quiet?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high tuck exhaust?...but is it quiet?

looking for a high tuck style exhaust / muffler that is quiet? my wife thinks my aero 2525xl is too loud...shes right...by quiet i mean barely noticeable. care about the clearance more than the sound anyways. The aero was in the typical high tuck position under the rear passenger seat. All input is appreciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Are you routing the exhaust tip out the back or dumping under the rig? Typically high tuck means small and small means louder than stock. Just kind of how it works. I guess if you really wanted quiet you could run 2 small mufflers inline.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

just slipped on the muffler in the resonator spot and used existing plumbing...removed stock gigantor muffler. Inspection laws require exhaust exit behind rear axle in my state anyways. i like the setup...its just a bit too loud...is there a quiet muffler out there that will fit this spot?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Add a rear axle back kit. Flowmaster, gibson, magnaflow and afe make one.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I put a DB Corsa hi-tuck on mine a couple years ago -- Good clearance and just a little louder (no drone either). Only problem is they stopped making them, I got one on a clearance sale. If you can find one, it sounds like what you're after.

This AFE 49-46219 looks similar, other than mine has a few inches more muffler with a shorter exit pipe.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I want a muffler to go where the resonator is now but to also be quiet like the stock exhaust
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Judging how loud an exhaust is can be difficult from YouTube videos. And I really didn't want a loud exhaust, but I did want something that sounded a little bit better than a sewing machine. So, I ended up with the JeepSWAG/Dominion Off-road exhaust system. It requires relocating the evaporative canister because that's where the exhaust goes. Brett Woods, owner, focused on a nice sounding exhaust, but not too loud, with good off-road clearance. I bought it and it is excellent. Unfortunately, the response was luke warm to Brett's product, so while he's done some design work for the Pentastar, he's not yet offering a product. He has told my friend, who really wants my exhaust but has the 3.6, that if enough people express interest (IOW: Inquire at his website, jeepswag.com), he will reconsider that. If you'd like to hear what it sounds like, much of this video using a GoPro from my dash will give you a good idea. Louder--but just a little--than stock, with a very nice note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2e2btZYV-s Oh, that is just raw video not assembled into much of an entertainment product. I have a much better version that incorporates some of that video, and so much more, at my YouTube page. Check out Moab Overland 2013, Parts 1-5, if interested.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My afe axleback was cheap and way quiet. Sometimes too quiet. My wife barely notices it. In fact, my neighbors didn't even notice a change. Search for reviews from it
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

after some more searching i may have a solution...leave the muffler in the stock resonator location and place the stock resonator just behind it to quiet it up...there is room...ill report back if i go this route
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

My solution…

after adding the stock resonator behind the Aero AT2525XL muffler the sound is perfect IMO. The exhaust is deeper than stock but the resonator has removed any drone or excessive noise when getting on the gas. Before when on the gas it sounded a little rice (My wife said it reminded her of high-school). Previously On my 07 I experimented and tried a Gibson and a Banks cat-back system. These all sounded silly to me when getting on the gas so this has been nice to find a good solution that I am happy with. With my 12' I wanted a solution without spending a lot of money or wasting money experimenting too much.

So….At idle and cruising it is barely noticeable, other than a deeper tone, which was what I wanted. Happy to have the stock gigantic muffler out of the way for clearance, which was the primary goal, but not at the sacrifice of sounding silly. I left the loop over the rear axle and have not decided how to finish the exit pipe…if at all.

As far as heat, my exhaust guy confirmed that a free flow exhaust will not generate much heat so I have no concerns with that. I will still probably add some heat shield to the under body side just above the new muffler.

As far a performance….it's a V-6….there's no change. My gas mileage is the same so in theory I have neither gained or lost any performance. After driving it for about 20-30 miles the computer adjusted to the exhaust (slight back-pressure change) and there is no gear searching by the transmission.

Total cost for the muffler was $100 for the AERO AT2525XL shipped to the house. Total cost on welds and such at muffler shop $60. Out the door at $160 and the gigantic muffler is gone and the sound is good. YAY!

One other thing, the factory hanger just above the driver's side rear axle will have to be moved slightly as the stock hanger location will not allow enough clearance for the new muffler (It will make slight contact with the frame rail unless it is moved).

Hope this helps anyone searching for a quieter high-tuck exhaust solution.

Thanks,
A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	512956  

Last edited by A'sJK; 11-26-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: high tuck exhaust?...but is it quiet?