Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How can I secure my spare inside my JKU?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How can I secure my spare inside my JKU?

My 35 fits perfect behind the rear seats. The tailgate closes and puts some pressure on the wheel so it isn't going anywhere for day to day driving, but I would like a way to secure it for when I go off road. What would you guys recommend? I thought about a 3 point tie down strap, but there aren't really any good attachment points that I know off unless I make my own.

I don't want something terribly expensive because I will probably consider a rear tire carrier down the road.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I currently am using the factory tie downs and a couple of cinch straps. the cinch straps are rated at 1500 lbs or so I am not worried about it going anywhere. I just ran them in a cross pattern. It almost makes me want to scrap the spare carrier. but I like to sleep back there from time to time so hate having to move a 100lb tire around each time.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AXIS
My 35 fits perfect behind the rear seats. The tailgate closes and puts some pressure on the wheel so it isn't going anywhere for day to day driving, but I would like a way to secure it for when I go off road. What would you guys recommend? I thought about a 3 point tie down strap, but there aren't really any good attachment points that I know off unless I make my own.

I don't want something terribly expensive because I will probably consider a rear tire carrier down the road.
There r 4 loop rings in back for tie downs
Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before my tire carrier, I also used the four little tie downs. Don't ratchet it down too tight though, I think I almost pulled one out of the floor. I almost bought and installed some lay-flat trailer tie down points but OR Fab changed my mind! Also, it helps to put some kind of cushion between the tire and the strap so the lugs won't chafe and tear the strap.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ill take a look at the factory tie downs today and see about using those.
One thing I did come across was this picture which seems like a pretty solid way of doing it. Anyone have any information on this?
I wonder if you could use these and still close the tailgate?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use something like that 3 point harness. I've seen other people mount the rear harness tabs to the frames crossmember and still use the tailgate. I'll try to find pictures if I can.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Straps rated for 1500 lbs. means nothing when they are attached to the factory tie-downs.

Tractor Supply has some removable tie-downs which can be mounted almost anywhere. Removable Tie-downs

I made some and mounted them like this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-downs-179999/

Quick Reply: How can I secure my spare inside my JKU?