Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much extra weight would be considered going overboard...

Old 10-19-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much extra weight would be considered going overboard...

I went to the scales at the local landfill because I was curious about how much weight I have added to the jeep in the past year. The last time I weighed it, I was tipping 4900, now it is 5400 pounds. The Currie tie rod/drag link added a bit, so did the AEV rear corners, maybe the 2 2 gallon Rotopax cans did also, not to mention that the gear in the back always gets added but never removed.

I wish I had weighed it when it was stock. I didn't and I am not sure I can trust the factory specification. It's a 2010 2 door Rubi with a hardtop and full doors. Does anyone else have an actual weight of this stock jeep?

I am gearing up to do a MOAB trip this spring and don't want to be a fat pig, me or the vehicle. More weight = more broken parts = more spares = more weight. It's a vicious cycle.

You can see my profile for all the mods I have made. I was hoping to put on a complete set of skids next. But now I am second guessing it because that will probably add 200 pounds more.

What do you all think?

BTW, weighed it with a full tank, my gear in back, and me in the drivers seat.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Weighed mine last week during return from Big Bend trip. Two people. Most water/food gone and jerry cans emptied. 6800 pounds. :-(
Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Weighed mine last week during return from Big Bend trip. Two people. Most water/food gone and jerry cans emptied. 6800 pounds. :-(

OK, so now I don't feel bad at all about the weight.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
OK, so now I don't feel bad at all about the weight. Thanks.
His is a 4 door though.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I weighed mine (2 door JK) with heavy ACE bumpers and rock rails but factory axles and just 285 Goodyear Duratracs and it was exactly 5,000

After the Dynatrac+MTR /k's 37x12.5x17 it was exactly 5,200

Both times it had like 200 pounds of tools, rescue/recovery gear and other crap, oh and 5 gallons of gas on Ace bumper

Matthew
Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

As long as your suspension isnt bottomed out you are good to go. You just burn more gas.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
As long as your suspension isnt bottomed out you are good to go. You just burn more gas.
Not completely true. From the perspective of simple physics, mass influences a number of other relevant characteristics.

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by terrabit
Not completely true. From the perspective of simple physics, mass influences a number of other relevant characteristics.
Mark D's nearly 7k pound jku has been all sorts of place offroad, so I doubt being in the mid 5k range is going to encumber the OP too much.

Quick Reply: How much extra weight would be considered going overboard...