Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much to install?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That price is a little high for around here. I put my lift on (3" Rancho spring kit) myself and took me about 7 hours with a lunch.
The shop I normally use would charge you $400 for this including the mount, balance, and alignment.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
$650 is in the ball park ($450-600) for SoCal for the lift kit. The track bar and stabilizer are little bit extra.

Can you mount and balance the tires yourself?

IMO, the real question is do you have the time and place to do the installation yourself.? The procedure is documented and you have an outstanding source of information here for any questions. The tools are less than $650 and you will be able to use them on any other mods in your plans.
This is sound advice. The more you wrench (within your abilities) on your vehicle, the more you learn about your vehicle. The more you've learned about your Jeep, the more likely you are to understand the problem and be able to handle a "trail fix" when something happens while you're wheeling.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

I paid 4Wheel Parts $480 to install my TF Full Flex 3" with both adjustable trackbars (JKS)
and got them to also change my trans fluid and filter that I provided. Pleased with there
work.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
$650 is in the ball park ($450-600) for SoCal for the lift kit. The track bar and stabilizer are little bit extra.

Can you mount and balance the tires yourself?

IMO, the real question is do you have the time and place to do the installation yourself.? The procedure is documented and you have an outstanding source of information here for any questions. The tools are less than $650 and you will be able to use them on any other mods in your plans.

i have time and since im in the military i can use the shop on base. access to all the tools and everything to do it. just not crazy about bleeding brake lines and trying to eyeball the alignment enough to drive it out of there. they do have a balancing machine also, but is it better to take it to a place that specializes in bigger tires? i realize you just throw it on the machine and it tells you what weights to but on but i don't know.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

I just installed this exact lift with the help of my wife. Even though she thought ever bolt was left handed and I had to tell her which way to turn the wrench we were able to install the 3" lift and TB ourselves. It took us 17 hours to install and align. I just followed WOL write up and the supplied instructions. Really the trick is figuring out the order of operations from the instructions, after that it's straight forward to replace a shock or control arm. For the springs I had to buy some cheapy compressors.

The only thing I had to borrow was some extra jack stands. I had my big ones holding up the jeep and I borrowed some small ones to hold the axles up.

There's no reason why you couldn't do this yourself. In fact it would be faster if you could get some mechanically inclined friends to help.

We then took it to a ghetto tire shop to get the tires mounted and balanced, to the tune of $45 total (5 tires). This tire place is now my favorite shop, and i will only go there for all my tire needs.

Lift install: 0
Tire mounting balancing: 45
knowledged gained about my suspension: priceless

EDIT: Check out the write up on the front end alignment, it's not as daunting of a task as one might think. There is no "eyeballing" you measure your caster, toe-in, driveline angles (rear), and you can measure and adjust.

Last edited by FlameRed; 09-16-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

You really just need to call around to different shops around you. Because as I'm sure you know every place cost different. I live in Atlanta and 650 isn't bad I would say shops around here would charge you anywhere from that up to 1,500 for instald alone. So like I said just call around and go with someone that you know does good work.

But again if you know even a little bit about working on cars you can do it your self. All you really need is a drill
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

my findings by calling around,most shops here charge by the lift hight 2-4 inches all seemed to be right at $590.00 didnt matter if it was budget boost or long arm! i am getting my R.E 3 1/2 superflex installed at 4wparts as i speak for half that, but made the deal when i bought the lift. I got a bargan on the lift as well !!!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by llik1tohs1
... I'm not trying to be an @$$ because I really appreciate the help I've gotten from these forums, but come on....how about no more replies like that?
It's rather the nature of this forum--you should expect some mild ribbing on pretty much any topic. Rarely is any insult or harm intended (I've learned to stay away from Anything and Everything).

Back on topic: I know you say you don't want to hear do it yourself, but have you thought of posting a request for help in the East Coast sub-forum of The Staging Area? If you plan to wheel your Jeep, you really would be better off to learn something about what's going on in its hardware. And having some experienced help could make you more confident in successful completion of the job in a timely manner.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
Do it yourself. The knowledge you gain on this is priceless. I installed my 2.5in myself with the help of a friend. I also did the alignment myself. Followed WOL's writeups....all is fine and I have about 2500 miles on the JK since. Love my new lift!!

I second that. You will learn so much just seeing how the parts go together and through trial and error.

Prior to installing my OME lift I had never done anything mechanical besides replacing a water pump on my TJ.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Back on topic: I know you say you don't want to hear do it yourself, but have you thought of posting a request for help in the East Coast sub-forum of The Staging Area? If you plan to wheel your Jeep, you really would be better off to learn something about what's going on in its hardware. And having some experienced help could make you more confident in successful completion of the job in a timely manner.
Wise words. If you're going to stay on public roads, then a tow truck will help you out of most situations you could get into. If you're headed off the beaten path, building skills is important.

A helping hand from a fellow wheeler - or even just a set of eyes and some good advice - will be very valuable. If you can line this up, make sure that the person helping you feels appreciated. At the very least, fire up the BBQ and spring for some very good steaks and a case of their favourite adult beverage to share after the job is done.

Quick Reply: How much to install?