Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if wheels were painted or originally black from factory

Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if wheels were painted or originally black from factory

I'm looking at buying some black OEM rims off CL. I like the Arctic black wheels and want a set. Is there a way to tell if the rims were painted or powder coated? I found a set but they are 2 hours away so I don't want to get there and then find out they were plasti dipped. I asked the seller but he says he doesn't know. I wasn't sure if rims had a part number that could tell me what model of JK they came off of.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Default Rims

Originally Posted by AmericanGuy
I'm looking at buying some black OEM rims off CL. I like the Arctic black wheels and want a set. Is there a way to tell if the rims were painted or powder coated? I found a set but they are 2 hours away so I don't want to get there and then find out they were plasti dipped. I asked the seller but he says he doesn't know. I wasn't sure if rims had a part number that could tell me what model of JK they came off of.

Thanks

I believe the Artic Rims were black from the factory. You could paint wheels yourself. Curb rash or rock rash, they will need to be touched up. If you paint them yourself, you will have left over paint for touch up, already painted wheels you will have to guess on the type of black to use.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rims

I was looking for the rims that were painted from the factory. I just didn't want to buy a set that were DIY painted at home and were poorly done. I wanted a way to confirm they were factory painted and not the 17in sport rims like I have now just spray painted black.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm no expert but I think the black wheels from factory are all glossy... those look pretty flat but it's not a high quality pic.

Quick Reply: How to tell if wheels were painted or originally black from factory