Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How would you Mod for towing?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How would you Mod for towing?

I'm looking to upgrade my rig to make it more capable for rock-crawling and towing. We love to go camping, and we want to be able to pull a travel trailer behind the JK on the way to the sites. I know the factory rating maxes out at 3500#, but our travel trailer is right up to that limit. With a bunch of gear we can easily go over that. So...

In addition to the brake controller and a class III hitch, what other mods would you make to feel more comfortable?

We already have a black diamond 3" lift, HD springs, and upgraded pitman arms, etc.. on the suspension. I also have an AFI CAI. I'm adding 35" tires at the same time. What else?

Here's what I was thinking...

Gibson or MagnaFlow Cat Back exhaust
Hypertech Power Programmer
5.13 gears

I know I may get flamed for trying to push the limits, but isn't that what we jeepers do?

So, let me know your ideas.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

does your trailer have brakes? yes gears would help, less flex in side walls of your tires will help with handling the trailer but then you lose some of the benifits offroad. youll need a higher sring rate in the rear or a bag system to control the sag. whats your jeep auto or manual? how does the trailer pull now?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

According to his sig, the Jeep is a 6 speed. I'd probably try the hypertech programmer 1st and take it from there.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I toe with the same setup about 4000 lbs. But low profile pop up witch I'm sure is easier. Then i added a equalizer hitch it made the biggest difference of any other mods I did.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ronson
I toe with the same setup about 4000 lbs. But low profile pop up witch I'm sure is easier. Then i added a equalizer hitch it made the biggest difference of any other mods I did.
Which equalizer hitch did you go with?

I've added a B&M trans cooler and I'm planning to add a coil-rite bag kit and weight distributing hitch (probably with sway control to).
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your going to pull anything with 35's, you definitely need the gears before anything else power wise.
Then you can add the muffler and Hypertec to get a little extra power if you want it.

You'll also definitely need trailer brakes if your pulling anything over 2000 LBS or so.
Being able to get it stopped is very important, and trailer brakes also help keep the Jeep under control while stopping.

I have an auto with 35's, 5.13's, Magnaflow, AirRaid intake and the Hypertec programmer....
And I pull our inboard ski boat that tips the scales around 3500-4000 LBS loaded with the trailer and it pulls it pretty good.
I can even hold 65 MPH on the highway on level ground with the OD on getting 12-14 MPG.
It still down shifts going up hills though, especially if there is a head wind.
My trailer also has surge brakes and it stops like its not even back there.

Being your going to pull a camper though, which is not very aerodynamic compared to a boat,
you'll at least want everything I listed above and maybe even more, like a load leveler hitch and sway control

Last edited by Eracer76; 09-02-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for the quick replies...

The trailer has electric brakes, and I've added a weight distributing hitch and brake controller (going in this week).

It's good to hear others are doing similar things.

I'm convinced the gears are critical with the 35's and the extra weight, so that's a no-brainer.

The tranny cooler seems like something I should look at. What options are there for a manual?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the kicker - it's not just the weight limit you need to worry about. You are limited by the frontal area of the trailer. Most full campers exceed this limit by quite a bit. From the 2008 owner's manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Limits.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	12519
Click image for larger version

Name:	Limit2.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	12520

Having said that, I also push the limits - 3500# Hi-Lo trailer with frontal area just a shade over 32 sq ft. Here's my list of mods to cope with towing. This is on an automatic Rubi.
  • B&M Transmission Cooler (a must for autos)
  • Magnaflow exhaust. Used the space in back to tuck up the 7-pin.
  • K&N Filter
  • Hypertech programmer
  • Brake controller
Still running 32s and performance is iffy. Planning to go to 35s once the 513's are installed (shortly, I hope).
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

You have the manual I'd go with 4.88's, you can always drop down a gear, which you will no matter what gears you are running on hills pulling that load. With the manual tranny I've never heard of a tranny cooler for these units. Also do not lift it any higher..
And consider for towing an all terrain tire if possible.....
BFG,Toyo M55..
Towing when it rains or even dry is more stable with a less aggresive tread.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you really want to tow in excess of listed towing capacity you will want to chuck the rear coil springs and install leaf springs. I would start by looking into leaf springs from a Cherokee lift kit to match your current lift
Next, you will want to mount a real tow hitch and not the stock JK hitch. It will take some moding / welding to do

Quick Reply: How would you Mod for towing?