Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How would you Mod for towing?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
For a little extra power I run the Hypertech at the high octane level, have cat back, CAI, and frequently kill the O/D on hills. to reduce sag from the additional weight in the rear I added a set of helper coil springs. I have hauled some pretty heavy trailers and the Jeep is able to maintain stock height in the rear. They not only keep the rear from sagging they also reduce trailer sway plus it looks pretty damn cool to see four coil springs when looking at the back of the Jeep...

Any info on what springs you used, how they are mounted, how it impacts flex, and most importantly PICTURES!!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow a 3500 pound camper with my Sahara 08 unlimited automatic and have made only a few mods:
Large modular transmision cooler
Tranny temp guage- never gone over 170 degrees
Tires all aired up to 44PSI
Weight distributing hitch (Reese)
Electric brakes
Clip on extended mirrors
Synthetic 10W 30 oil
Synthetic 90W gear oil in both diffs
K&N drop in air filter
OD is always off!

I can maintain 75MPH on the highway, but do slow to 60 on the hills. The electric brakes and weight distributing hitch are key.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is a tranny cooler a DIY type of job?

Where did you guys order your parts, hitches, etc from? I'm looking to get back into camping and/or boating and want to use my Jee and hopefully not have to buy a truck.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohawk-mine
change your trans fulid often. like every time you get back from
a trip. you may also use 30wt motor oil if you keep burning
the atf.
You will know if you get it to hot It will get stuck
in gear or shift harder the next day. good luck.
What does this mean?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SpinningBull
I'm looking to upgrade my rig to make it more capable for rock-crawling and towing. We love to go camping, and we want to be able to pull a travel trailer behind the JK on the way to the sites. I know the factory rating maxes out at 3500#, but our travel trailer is right up to that limit. With a bunch of gear we can easily go over that. So...

In addition to the brake controller and a class III hitch, what other mods would you make to feel more comfortable?

We already have a black diamond 3" lift, HD springs, and upgraded pitman arms, etc.. on the suspension. I also have an AFI CAI. I'm adding 35" tires at the same time. What else?

Here's what I was thinking...

Gibson or MagnaFlow Cat Back exhaust
Hypertech Power Programmer
5.13 gears

I know I may get flamed for trying to push the limits, but isn't that what we jeepers do?

So, let me know your ideas.
Page 414 of your Owner's Manual states for trailer towing to use SAE 75W-140 Mopar Syn Gear & Axle Lube...fyi

Quick Reply: How would you Mod for towing?