Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how are your good year wrangler MTR's

Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how are your good year wrangler MTR's

i was thinking about getting some good year MTR's, toyo MT. what do you guys think?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi

MT/Rs are great performing tires. But they are expensive and wear on the fast side IMO. There is a new design coming out soon so you may want to wait for that.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had lot's of tires over the years and by far, the MTR is the best. They are nearly impossible to puncture and perform great off road. The wear is average, about 25k which is not bad for a Mud Terrain. You should never expect high mileage and good off road performance...you have to give somewhere. If you want mileage, you will be better off with an all terrain tire, but your performance will suffer.

I have not owned a Toyo, however I looked into this tire but was talked out of it by a friend who is the manager of a local Big O tire store. His advice was, not the worst, but there are many better options. He has had several issues with the tire and in his opinion, they are on the low side of quality, or better than average junk.

The MTR requires constant rotation and balance. I always had mine rotated and balanced at around 3k miles and never experienced the cupping so many complain about. Do that, and they will be fine.

The MTR is pricey, but as they say, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get the new Kevlar MTR or Toyos.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have never owned TOYOs but had a set of MTRs on my truck and they wore evenly their entire life (25k miles). When getting close to "wore out" they did become very rough and make lots of noise... but like i said, it was time to get new ones. They had great grip off road.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I've really liked mine so far. I've put almost 15,000 miles and they look like they could go for another 15,000 to be honest. They grip very well on rocks as well as mud and snow. They were pretty quiet at first (as quiet as one could expect these to be) and they have gotten louder since. Still tolerable though. Only down side I could see is that as puncture resistant as they have been, when you put the white letters on the outside and rock crawl a lot they will chip and you'll see the white rubber layer when it does. To avoid this put the black side out. If you don't mind then put the white side out. Once she's dirty and on the rocks it isn't noticeable.

The main reason I got them is I was looking for a 34 inch tire that would look good with the factory Rubicon wheels and still perform great. These have been just that. To me they are the perfect size at 305/70/17.

This is what they looked like at 14,000 miles. You can see the white chips in the sidewalls but they are hardly noticeable.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

By far the best mud tire I've ever had-they do require some attention in the form of rotations, and balancing, but they clear out like nothing I've ever seen. one tap of the pedal and they clean out like I just ran a hose on them. unreal!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice. sounds like both would be fine. i will probably run my maxxis bighorn agian because i have almost 45,000 on them. they do have chunks taken out but have lasted a while and still have a little left on them. they have worn perfect to. thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the maxxis bighorns, and I will be lucky if I get 20k miles out of them. Not happy with how they have worn.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the new tread pattern none of the comments above or mine probably apply.

I have had many pairs of MTRs in 31, 33, and 35. sizes on a TJ and 35s on my old JK. I feel like they are an exceptional tire. I disagree they wear quick. Like all aggressive tread tires they require frequent balancing and rotation. If this is not done, they will cup just like the others. I got 38K on one pair on the TJ. They typically wore to the point of not being good offroad at about 30K.

I think they are better on the road than the KMs because they have a flatter contact. I feel they are better than the KM in mud but are not really a mud tire. They don't clear very well. If you want a mud tire you should be getting boggers. They are superior in the mud. IMO they are the best all around tire on the market. I hope the new ones continue that path. There are tires that are better at more specific things. Like Boggers in the mud and Krawlers on the rocks but they are the best all around tire made.

Quick Reply: how are your good year wrangler MTR's