Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub centric or lug centric which one is it?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renegade
No, they're not. But, you are adding significant leverage to the stock wheel studs by spacing the wheel centers 1.5" more outboard. The spacers being hub centric makes the combination stronger, be reducing the vertical load.
If you are using stock wheels then it is no different than using a less backspaced wheel that is also not hub centric, so what are you gaining???? Total waste of money and internet rumor of a necessity for using hub centric wheels and spacers on a Jeep. Just for everyones info, ebay spacers are also hubcentric and about half the price of spidertrax spacers.

I will agree that there is a benefit of a hub centric wheel on a higher performance car than a Jeep.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
If you are using stock wheels then it is no different than using a less backspaced wheel that is also not hub centric, so what are you gaining???? Total waste of money and internet rumor of a necessity for using hub centric wheels and spacers on a Jeep. Just for everyones info, ebay spacers are also hubcentric and about half the price of spidertrax spacers.

I will agree that there is a benefit of a hub centric wheel on a higher performance car than a Jeep.
WHOA now. Easy. Don't be handing out bad info. eBay does in fact carry hubcentric spacers but not all eBay spacers are hubcentric. If you are looking for hubcentric spacers, make sure you get the correct hub bore. I don't know what the hub size of the JK is (haven't had the need yet) but that must match the spacer bore. But buying cheap spacers might cost more in the long run. I'd run nothing but billet spacers with the correct hub bore myself.

As for if being hubcentric helps or not ?! No tellin. But I like the idea of the hub lending a hand to help support the weight of the vehicle as opposed to just the studs and nuts.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN

Did I say they were a neccesity? No.
Do I think they are a waste of money? No
I looked at the ones available on eBay at the time I placed my order and decided to go with a proven product. If you want to buy a different product than I did, fine. The End.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

I'm really not pushing anything or trying to convince anyone to not buy spidertrax. It is really each persons wants and needs. I just can't figure out why Jeep Forums in general always have threads about the importance of hub centric when it really isn't a factor on our vehicles. Our wheels aren't even close to being hubcentric and from what I have seen, after market wheels are also not hub centric.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nota4re
???? I'd be surprised if they are not. I work on a wide variety of cars and it has been awhile since I have seen an OEM rim that wasn't hub-centric. That said, I haven't had the rims off of the JK yet but I'm really suprised when you say they are not.

I'm starting my RE Long Arm install this weekend and will know for sure when I pull a wheel off!
Well you will be suprised then. The 17" wheels on my JK and my 15" wheels on my TJ were not hub centric. Jeeps are not like a lot of other cars.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting... the stock wheels on my 2004 Rubicon were hub-centric.

It was my understanding the all the TJ wheels are hub-centric.

And as you can clearly see in this photo of a JK that the JK wheels are hub-centric.

Last edited by jdrogers; 03-08-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Having a flange does not make it hub centric. The wheels do not sit on the flange. Put a wheel on and watch it move around. Also look at the inside hole of the rim, it is beveled so that it sits against the flange. If you notice when you tighten the lugs, the wheel will center itself. That definately is not hub centric.

Last edited by IGOFSHN; 03-08-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to correct you on this but I had to go outside and pull my rim off just to check. I can tell you that with 100% certainty, the stock Moab rims on my '07 Rubi are hub-centric.
Good work! I was thinking about checking that myself since I was certain they were hub-centric... but I had shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago and I'm not suppose to be lifting things, etc.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

I can also tell you with 100% certain that my stock 17's on my x are not hub centric. I also pulled the wheel. The flange is there but the rim has a nice big bevel that does not sit on the flange.

These are my stock wheels.

If anybody thinks these are hub centric then they need to think again.

For those that have spacers, compare the spacer to the inside of the rim, you will be able to see what true hub centric is. The spacer fits real nice over the flange and does not move around, these wheels move a lot. They do not slide onto the flange. They rest against it.

Last edited by IGOFSHN; 03-09-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

(btw, do you happen to know Jay Paulson there in Lemoore?)
Don't know him, where does he work?

Quick Reply: Hub centric or lug centric which one is it?