Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydro or Nitro shocks

Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro or Nitro shocks

Can anyone tell me the difference between Hydro shocks and Nitro shocks? I will be purchasing a skyjacker 2.5 lift kit for my 4 door. THANKS in advance.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitros are "charged" with nitrogen which prevents the hydraulic fluid fluid inside the shock from becoming aerated (full of tiny air bubbles). This will keep the shock's performance more predictable when being used hard. When the shocks become aerated, they lose the ability to dampen the bumps. Typically nitros have a more firm feeling ride. Whether you need them or not on a non-race/competition type suspension is a matter of opinion. I have always used hydros in the past and have always been happy with the feel. I now have nitros and I am not sure they are really needed with the average street, and slow speed trail driving that I do.

Quick Reply: Hydro or Nitro shocks