Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech & Cold Air

Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LinkSync
Gas milage?

LOL

Sure he went faster quicker and got better milage ....

Ummm

My bet is he isn't driving like an old lady.

magical thinking is a wonderfull thing tho.
to believe in the possabilities is to have hope.
to have hope is priceless.

I hope the programmer is in fact magical.

I have both a CAI and a flow thru muffler.
It does growl nicely.
With just the CAI I noticed an improvement in low end response.
Adding the muffler LOST that and more but improved my milage on the freeway.

None of that means a thing when in 4WL.
Where a JK is a JK and the reason I bought it.

I had one in my Dodge Ram and it helped tremendously. I'm just not sure that there is anythihng that can help this V6. I don't mind fo rthe most part, but when yo are on a Dallas freeway in a headwind it sure is a PIA to have to be in the gas the whoole time just to maintain speed.

I think a gear change is probably a better spend of the $$$ though.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

idk how much a intake and hypertech cost but i dont think its wort it in any way. you probally got 20 mentle hp.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

Yeah, it might be twenty mental horsepower, but at least I can spell it! I've been wrenching on engines for well over thirty years, and I know that there is no such thing as a magic pill for performance or mileage. If I did, I'd probably have cow magnets taped to my fuel lines.

Seriously though, this thing was a dog before, and the combo did make quite a difference. Maybe it's more noticeable with the automatic. At about half the price and a whole lot less hassle than a gear change, to me it's worth it.

Don't know about gas mileage yet, but I doubt if it will change much. I'll let y'all know when I hit 30 mpg.

As for the shift firmness, mine allowed me to do it set on regular. Remember, this thing had ass backwards buttons, so who knows what else may be funky.

Just my two cent's worth. Do what you want with it......
Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Default CAI question

not to change subject BUT... will the CAI take in water more than the stock air box? someone told me putting on the air filter cover (nylon material) will block all water. any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you saying you were able to adjust shift firmness with your programmer, mine does not let me do that. I was really hoping it would.

Does anyone else have that setting?

Originally Posted by mrcabinet
I increased the shift firmness by 25%, which got rid of the muddiness in the shifts. Also, the lag in the 20 to 30 mph range at half throttle was substantially reduced.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
So are you saying you were able to adjust shift firmness with your programmer, mine does not let me do that. I was really hoping it would.

Does anyone else have that setting?

I have the Hypertech Max energy (with the latest software update from the internet). What you can adjust is the following (and does not include shift firmness):

1) Tire size
2) Gear Ratio
3) What temp fan comes on (confusing cause they have a "stock" setting but then tell you to use 195 if you have a stock thermostat).
4) stock, regular, or premium gas. These are your performance settings:

a) stock - no change
b) regular - program for best performance using regular gas
c) premium - program for best performance using premium gas.

As a side note, they have built-in a pretty much bullet-proof way of preventing you from using this on more than one car at a time. When you first program it, it copies the stock (actually current) settings from your jeep. In order to use it again, you have to program your jeep back to stock, then use it on another jeep.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get so upset when I hear you say how good your hypertech is working with 35"s no less. I run a 08 sahara with 3.73s, hypertech on premium setting, aem CAI, and flowmaster exhaust. My tranny shifts like it's retarded. Oh yea I have an auto also. I believe the flowmaster actually hurt my hwy driving more than it helped.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
I have the Hypertech Max energy (with the latest software update from the internet). What you can adjust is the following (and does not include shift firmness):

1) Tire size
2) Gear Ratio
3) What temp fan comes on (confusing cause they have a "stock" setting but then tell you to use 195 if you have a stock thermostat).
4) stock, regular, or premium gas. These are your performance settings:

Well shit. That is the same as mine, I just recieved the most recent mag from one of "those" larger national jeep parts suppliers and it says it would adjust shift points and firmness. . . .perhaps they should get there facts straight.

I wonder which unit mrcabinet was using.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Hypertech & Cold Air