Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I am nervous about Spidertrax spacers!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spidertrax Spacer Important Note

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I am nervous about Spidertrax spacers! Yes I did it, I bought 1.25 wheel spacers for my JK, my set up is running Jeep Commander Rims and 295-70-r17 tires which the tires alone weigh a whopping 70lbs.... plus rim we are near the 100lb each (tire and wheel) combo....I have heard from many jeepers that if you go spacers then spidertrax is the way to go so feel good about the maker.....but when I dropped off my jeep today to have them installed the shop pointed out for me right there in Bold letters on the box "meant for OFF Road only" and this is not my intention as my jeep is mainly an on road rider and some decent highway driving at 75mph..... I forged ahead and having them put on and then a full alignment. Can someone please set my mind at ease, my wife drives this rig and I have a 4 month old.... if a tire ever fell off on the highway or anywhere causing harm to anyone because of my "Mod addiction" I would feel HORRIBLE..... wheel spacers has their share of haters and supporters so hoping to get some final legit feedback from my fellow jeep peers! Thanks.....
The spacers you have are NOT made for the JK for are made for the WJ Wrangler. Anyway the Spidertrax spacer WHS-010 is the spacer that is made for the JK. The WHS-10 is "hub centric" which means they are balanced. The Spidertrax WHS-006 spacer which is 1.25 inch spacer ARE NOT HUB CENTRIC, but they still have a 5x5 pattern and will fit the JK.
I spoke the Spidertrax themselves and they told me about the hub centric and model differences. They stated that if you use they 1.25 inch (WHO-006) they'll probably give some vibration at higher speeds due to being non hub centric.

I hope this clarifies the difference in the 2 types.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

so the jks are running hub centric now when was that change made? also the stigma with wheel spacers being a hazard was with the earlier cast aluminum versions of yesteryear were they had a tendency to coorode, fatigue and eventually crack same deal with some lift and lowering blocks out there, but spidertrax is good business just re-check the tq freuquently till the lugs seat properly.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called 4 wheel parts last week to order some spacers. The guy was adament about not using them, said they didn't sell them and they would not work on a vehicle with spacers. I said it must be some over reaction from their lawyers, then he got into a rant about the risks, problems with the threads corroding due to the different metallurgy, etc.

It was enough to make me rethink spacers versus new rims. I'll watch this thread closely to see it was over reaction or has ANYONE had an incident with wheel spacers.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepbozo
I called 4 wheel parts last week to order some spacers. The guy was adament about not using them, said they didn't sell them and they would not work on a vehicle with spacers. I said it must be some over reaction from their lawyers, then he got into a rant about the risks, problems with the threads corroding due to the different metallurgy, etc.
"threads corroding due to different metallurgy" ??? I'm not sure about that, but I did go with the Teraflex spacers because they were steel instead of aluminum. Thought they'd have less chance to fatigue.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

I wore a set of 33-12.5-15 Goodyear MT/Rs nearly bald over about 30,000 miles with a set of 1.25" lug-centric spacers on factory wheels on my TJ. It was wheeled in Panamint Valley, Moab, 21 Road, and several other trails in Colorado and California over that time with zero issues. It also logged many a high-speed mile behind my RV. The spacers I used were not even as good as the Spidertrax IMO (not anodized), yet they performed their task. I have seen several failed tires/wheels due to poor maintenance, but never saw or heard of a failure of a modern spacer made with the materials that these are. I'm buying some more.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkrubi
I wore a set of 33-12.5-15 Goodyear MT/Rs nearly bald over about 30,000 miles with a set of 1.25" lug-centric spacers on factory wheels on my TJ. It was wheeled in Panamint Valley, Moab, 21 Road, and several other trails in Colorado and California over that time with zero issues. It also logged many a high-speed mile behind my RV. The spacers I used were not even as good as the Spidertrax IMO (not anodized), yet they performed their task. I have seen several failed tires/wheels due to poor maintenance, but never saw or heard of a failure of a modern spacer made with the materials that these are. I'm buying some more.

i did the same thing with my TJ. though my wheeling was in the east (mohawk, GW national forest..) and my tires were Mickey Thompson Baja Belted. my spacers (1.25") were ebay knock-offs. loctite the hell out of them, torque them down, you're good to go. i'm also buying them again.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

I'll be running a set myself. I've had wheel adapters on numerous vehicles (including a 700HP Twin Turbo Ford Lightning) and never had an issue with them. Make sure they are installed properly and recheck them in 100 miles, then every tire rotation after that.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Spitertrax spacers

It was enough to make me rethink spacers versus new rims. I'll watch this thread closely to see it was over reaction or has ANYONE had an incident with wheel spacers.

I heard the same stories, I asked them outright what are the chances of them breaking / failing on hard off road and they said they won't.
Spidertrax themslves have been running them in major off events for over 7 yrs. and hasn't had a problem. (per Spidertrax)
Old 01-05-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I installed them and here is my data!

I researched this to death, posted here and on other forums. Here is what I got. This came from multiple sources, seasoned veterans, tire/rim experts, web research etc... I never had anyone that actually owned spacers chime in and say negative things, if they did my first question would be what kind were they running as the quality of the spacer does makes a difference and who knows if that person had them installed correctly.......even blogged, searched usergroups, forums and doman name searched anyone online that had a negative experience with the sidertrax spacers and the results made me feel good!.... Common theme seems to be as long as they are quality "like spidertrax or other quality makers" and installed correctly there is almost no risk! Well let me put it like this, the same risk as adding rims with deeper offsets, or adding a budget or suspesion lift, or gears, or a larger tires, or what ever that changes the ride from stock and adds "other failure points". So I had them installed yesterday, drove the truck home and bringing it back to the shop today at lunch for a re-torque check. Then will bring it in again at 500 Miles. I have to say the jeep rides actually better, at leat on the highway, does not seem to drift or track as much. I never expected a better handling ride but guess widening the stance seems to help at least this is my experience. I had a full tire alingment as well after the install! I had people with babies and wives they care for ping me and all felt good about spacers as long as again good maker, installed right and maintained! I think anyone should be concerned about any mod they do that changes the vehicle from stock (besides cosmetic mods) and should self educate, research, post as I did. I feel good with my decision and confident I am putting no one at risk.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly, this guy has no idea what he's talking about and was filling you with all kinds of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) either because he doesn't sell any or because he was trying to get you to buy a set of new wheels. And, let's face it, the guys is most likely looking to get as much of a commission check as possible right?

Look, as others, I have run wheel spacers on my TJ in the past for years. While I personally think new wheels with less back spacing is a better option, I can tell you that running high quality wheel spacers like the kind Spidertrax makes is just as safe so long as you install them properly and check on them from time to time just like you would anything else on your Jeep.

Quick Reply: I am nervous about Spidertrax spacers!