Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ideas ?? Hood chop + Scoop + Lightbar.... ..a frontal labotomy

Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ideas ?? Hood chop + Scoop + Lightbar.... ..a frontal labotomy

On the principal you can never have enough offroad lights, I’d appreciate your creative ideas to modify a stock hood into a heat extractor with built-in lightbar, and whatelse?? I bought a cheap stock hood to tear up and see what works (and doesn't !! )

First idea is to have some DIY fun cutting, creating and molding on a muscle-car style hood scoop and mount a 10-12inch Rigid Industries LED lightbar inside (3200+ lumens). I'll eventually get a snorkel so not using the scoop for air intake. Pics below are of my cardboard mock-up sitting on the existing hood, and lightbar I'm considering. From the drivers seat the scoop surprisingly doesn’t affect visibility given the hood's forward angle. This is a garage project so no professional layering process or panel beating. I’m not sure what to use for heat extraction that will also prevent heavy rain getting in

Any other crazy ideas to mess with this hood ? Cheers

Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

nt sure on the hood scoop, but love the lightbar
and you're missing a hood nipple lol
Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool

not a fan of the hood scoop, but the lights look good
Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

ditch the scoop...
Old 10-24-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

i say go for it, be different!! I think you should try to make some kind of filter for in front of the scoop kinda like the aev prefilter idea, just so no dust or anything gets in there
Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

I am not a big fan of the hood scoop, it would allow more debris and water into the engine compartment. The scoop would get in the way when I put my rifle on a bipod and shoot varmints off the hood, can't have that happening.

Its your Jeep, do what ever you want with it and call it your own. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

The scoop has got to go...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
....and you're missing a hood nipple lol
Painful To get it home I strapped the spare hood onto the existing hood -- the new one either got jealous or excited......

Originally Posted by BBirish
i say go for it, be different!! I think you should try to make some kind of filter for in front of the scoop kinda like the aev prefilter idea, just so no dust or anything gets in there
and
Originally Posted by IMFletch
I am not a big fan of the hood scoop, it would allow more debris and water into the engine compartment. The scoop would get in the way when I put my rifle on a bipod and shoot varmints off the hood, can't have that happening. Its your Jeep, do what ever you want with it and call it your own. Good luck with your project.
I hadn't planned to use the scoop as an air intake as will get an AEV/RiverRaider snorkel eventually. Right now, the Scoop is just to surround the lightbar. Curious if you had another thought to add to the hood ? I'd still appreciate other hood ideas, esp heat extraction vents or rear facing cowl that will also keep heavy rain out.

Originally Posted by IMFletch
Good luck with your project.
cheers, fun to plan and build

Please keep any and all ideas coming - its meant to be different and the spare hood allows gives opportunity to test ideas.

Cheers

Last edited by westchester; 10-26-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atl JK
The scoop has got to go...
Oh no! Put some louvers in the hood for the heat and fill that hood scoop up with lights.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Negative to the scoop, I'd be more concerned with it flying off at highway speeds, cracking your windshield and possibly bring harm to people behind you.

Take out the two 6" lights you have in your brush guard and move them to the outer parts of your bumper. Then install the xmitter light in that space. That, IMO, would be awesome.

Quick Reply: Ideas ?? Hood chop + Scoop + Lightbar.... ..a frontal labotomy