Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input Needed to Help Make a Difficult Decision (Wheels or Suspension)

Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Needed to Help Make a Difficult Decision (Wheels or Suspension)

I need your help! I'm having the hardest time deciding on my next purchase...should it be wheels (and focus on looks) or suspension (begin to improve trail capabilities)???

By way of back ground (if you have seen my build thread you'd know), this is a 3 year project putting me at the Rubicon trail in 2017. I have already added front bumper, winch, and rock rails and will be for sure adding the rear bumper. The question I have is do I finish out the "looks package" and add ATX Camber Pro II beadlocks on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers (black with an Orange Ring) and stuff a budget boost in with inexpensive Fox shocks to clear my 35's (with a plan to upgrade the suspension either next year or the following...once I figure out which is more priority, better lift or skids and roll cage). OR stick with the stock wheels and go ahead a pick up the EVO Enforcer with King 2.5 Res shocks with the intent to tackle the wheels at a later date.

The conundrum is...

If I do wheels first:

I most likely won't be doing a significant amount of hardcore wheeling for a couple of years and technically wouldn't NEED beadlocks for the wheeling I'd be doing (on a positive note, I'll be able to keep my orange ring all pretty for a bit, lol). I'm questioning this route b'c I don't want to create a maintenance issue for a product I don't need, but I KNOW I will eventually get/and need beadlocks and I certainly don't want to buy a second set of wheels.

If I do suspension first:

I'm not fully convinced the King bolt-on coilover system isn't where I eventually want to be (the Enforcer kit would be a major waste of money if I ultimately decide to go this route). But I fight with this approach b'c I know that coilovers are probable overkill (I just don't want to limit what I want to do in the future...don't know how crazy this rigs going to get, lol).

Either route, I'd be throwing away $300-$600 bucks this go around (budget boost or spacers).

Rig will be used as a DD, wheeled once a month (or so), and most interested in LCOG (minimal lift...just enough to fit tires and not lose travel, up or down)

All ideas are welcome, even if you think I should trash both ideas and go a completely different route.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

So you mentioned LCOG. And I know I will get a lot of hate for this suggestion. If you are only going with 35's I suggest buying the tires first, 1.25 bodylift, and if you want more clearance cut the fenders. My jeep has a body lift I bought off of ebay for $125. Most people don't realize I have one. I wanted LCOG because I like hill climbs and off camber trails. Yes adding a 3 to 6 inch body lift is dumb. But body lifts do have thier place. In your case with LCOG this would be one place to consider a BL.

Just curious.... You near Marble Falls? Hidden falls is fun. Only been there once tho!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	560837  

Last edited by WINGIT; 06-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going coilover i wouldnt go with evo bolt ons... you can get the same travel shocks and coils to work for significantly less..

if you want lcog dont get a lift and run the 35s. i dont get the whole lcog idea most people have involving a lift... if i were to do a lcog build id try and fit 40s on no lift or less than stock height and still have 5-6 uptravel..

Last edited by Maertz; 06-20-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need beadlocks to run the Rubicon.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Why are you so set on throwing money at something now, when you don't really know what you want to end up with, and still have three years to plan it out. Seems that it would make more sense to drive what you have and buy later when you have a better clue.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were going LCG, I would go with the Metalcloak Overline fenders, and put the 35s on. Metalcloak claims their Overline Fenders will enable you to run a 37 with no lift.

JK Wrangler Fenders and Body Armor

If you go bigger tires, your going to need to beef up that front axle.

Good luck with your build.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Why are you so set on throwing money at something now, when you don't really know what you want to end up with, and still have three years to plan it out. Seems that it would make more sense to drive what you have and buy later when you have a better clue.
I don't want to be in a position 2 1/2 years from now where I have to drop $20k to get what I want. I'm planning it our in stages and trying to best plan for the end goal. The main item I still have a question about is the direction on suspension (shock and coil or coilover).

I may have just answered my own question, lol.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dojohnso
If I were going LCG, I would go with the Metalcloak Overline fenders, and put the 35s on. Metalcloak claims their Overline Fenders will enable you to run a 37 with no lift. JK Wrangler Fenders and Body Armor If you go bigger tires, your going to need to beef up that front axle. Good luck with your build.
I like your idea, but concerned about break over point. I'm thinking a minimal lift will help out greatly in this area (since I running a jku).

Also, I'm planning to cut my current fenders...for free (and I really like that price point, lol)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dojohnso
If I were going LCG, I would go with the Metalcloak Overline fenders, and put the 35s on. Metalcloak claims their Overline Fenders will enable you to run a 37 with no lift. JK Wrangler Fenders and Body Armor If you go bigger tires, your going to need to beef up that front axle. Good luck with your build.
Oh, I'll certainly be addressing the axles once I start really wheeling it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
You dont need beadlocks to run the Rubicon.
But what about Moab, Big Bend, etc.

Quick Reply: Input Needed to Help Make a Difficult Decision (Wheels or Suspension)