Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

IROK's or Xterrains?????

Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, some real input here

I run the 37x12.50 Irok Radials, and have 15K miles on them thus far, I expect to get another 10K -15K miles out of them. Not too bad for such an aggressive tread design. They are a very good road tire compared to other Super Swamper tires out there. Actually I would put any Super Swamper tire against these, and they will ride better and balance easier. They are not loud, they have a nice little hum, but nothing compared to a mud grappler. But they are HEAVY.....

As far as the balooning goes, the Bias ply Iroks are known for the balooning affect, but the radials are much flatter.

I have run both Bias ply (39.5's) and radial Iroks and both are very street worthy IMHO.

If/when I am going to replace these, my only options will be the Toyo M/T, or maybe the new BFG.. depending on how the reports are for them.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
OK, some real input here

I run the 37x12.50 Irok Radials, and have 15K miles on them thus far, I expect to get another 10K -15K miles out of them. Not too bad for such an aggressive tread design. They are a very good road tire compared to other Super Swamper tires out there. Actually I would put any Super Swamper tire against these, and they will ride better and balance easier. They are not loud, they have a nice little hum, but nothing compared to a mud grappler. But they are HEAVY.....

As far as the balooning goes, the Bias ply Iroks are known for the balooning affect, but the radials are much flatter.

I have run both Bias ply (39.5's) and radial Iroks and both are very street worthy IMHO.

If/when I am going to replace these, my only options will be the Toyo M/T, or maybe the new BFG.. depending on how the reports are for them.
Yeah, the mud grappler has a loud lug slap on the pavement... I've always thought that the IROK's look like the front smoothie tire off of a sand buggy, with Heavy treads added.... I know there performance on rock and dirt is top notch, not too sure about mud, as for weight, yeah they are up there, as are all Super Swamper brand tires...
I've had a few buddies run IROK's on their jeeps, 33" and 37" and they were lucky to get about 17,000 or so miles out of em.. and they rotated every 3k.... (The jeeps in question were daily driver, lots of Highway speeds, etc...) They didnt care too much for em in the rain though...
How are the road manners of yours on wet surfaces?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the SSR on my CJ and they are an all-around great tire. They are big $$ though. So for the JK I just bought a set of MTZ. They seem to be the most reasonably priced all-around tire and since they're siped and a little softer compound they should perform better on and off-road than the BFG-MT.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

people may be tired of seeing Xterrain's on everything but i love them and ill get another set when these are done for. On the road they are great, good handling, noise, wet traction, stopping. Off road they are "good" in everything i have done thus far, just not "great" in any one thing. I have been in the mudd, dry dusty clay and at 18 PSI did great on the rocks at Tellico. My jeep is a DD and i spend a whole lot of time on the interstate so the road quality is pretty high on my list. I have 9500 miles on them and they are not showing much wear at all and if i ever quit being lazy ill rotate them for the first time
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
OK, some real input here

Wow! that's crazy on the miles. I would never guess anyone get that much. I thought most of the radials were flatter and I know that should help mileage. I woudln't have thought that much though. Now is sounding real tempting to go w/ the 36's.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MossMan
ok. so what else? I see lot's of MTZ's but talk about $$$$. Same thing for the Toyo's. Sweet tire but am I really gonna get that much more tread life?
If $$$ is a big concern, take a look at the Hankook MT RT03. I just bought a set of 37/12.50-17's for $234 each including mounting and balancing. Nothing else was even close in price. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

that's a good lookin' tire.

Quick Reply: IROK's or Xterrains?????