Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issue with Bestop Highrock 4x4 Oversized Tire Carrier

Old 10-14-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Bestop Highrock 4x4 Oversized Tire Carrier

Anyone else have one of these? Here's a video with more detail:

http://youtu.be/grvcgSReY1g .

I have a 2013 JKU and just put this carrier on. It's advertised as being able to hold a 37", 200lb tire. Mine's holding a 31.5", 80lb Duractrac, and I'm getting a terribly annoying "thump" from the carrier when I hit bumps.

To be sure of where the "thump" was coming from, I removed everything from the rear of the Jeep including the plastic trunk tray. No jack, no tray, nothing. Then, I test drove over a bump that usually causes the thump. Thump occurred. I returned home, removed the tire from the carrier, re-tightened all the hardware, then test drove over the bump with NO TIRE on, and no thump.

I put the spare back on, double checked that it was very secure, and drove over the bump again. Got the thump. So, logically, the thump is caused by the weight of the tire on the carrier.

I have tightened and then retightened the tire to the tire carrier and the tire carrier to the tailgate. I have jumped up and down on the rear bumper trying to get the thump to appear. I have sat in my garage drinking a cold beer contemplating the very simple thing that I'm missing, but still...I am at a loss here. Anyone else have this carrier and have a similar issue?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The carrier can hold that weight, but can your hinges?? That's the real issue.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I had one for a while before I bought my Genright. I'd get the same "thump" from time to time. I don't think there is too much you can do about it being that it's attached to the tailgate. I had a 35 toyo m/t on it, btw.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The carrier can hold that weight, but can your hinges?? That's the real issue.
Indeed it is. I wonder who knows.

Incidentally, I checked my hinges and their solid. For now...
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigpooma
I had one for a while before I bought my Genright. I'd get the same "thump" from time to time. I don't think there is too much you can do about it being that it's attached to the tailgate. I had a 35 toyo m/t on it, btw.
You're probably right. Actually, I don't think it would really bother me too much if I didn't subconsciously hear my hinges wearing out with each thump. Just trying to avoid buying a new rear bumper...

Quick Reply: Issue with Bestop Highrock 4x4 Oversized Tire Carrier