Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Je Reel/FT 3" Ulti. & Driveline Vibes

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Je Reel/FT 3" Ulti. & Driveline Vibes

I've got a 2dr X auto trans and I installed the 3" FT Ultimate lift with new 1310 Je Reel driveshafts (front/rear) with yokes. I can't get rid of a vibration in the front end at 45-55 mph unless I get down to about 2 degrees of castor. I had the driveshaft checked out and balanced etc. Went through all my arm lenths to make sure everything was the same side to side. It still drives Ok but not great at 2 degrees. How the hell is everyone getting 5 plus degrees of caster without vibrations. LOL Any advice or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rick
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

put your caster were you want it, put the stock drive shaft bac in and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 AM
JK Freak

I was told by the guys at je reel that no matter what you were going to have some vibration with these types of drive shafts. Basically they told me they vibrated more at the same angle as the stock shafts to a certain point. After the angle became more severe the stock shaft would explode but theirs would still vibrate the same. I just put 5.13 gears in mine and it made it worse but i don't really worry about it anymore.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the 5:13 gears in mine also and yes it's worse now. I think I'm going to have to end up with 2 degrees of castor. Everyone I've talked to and shops I've talked to seem to not worry that the shafts won't hold up but that the ujoint/CV will need to be replace much sooner and that the vibrations is really going to play hell with seals and bearings at the pumpkin and transfercase over the long run. It's annoying as hell and then to know it's shorting the lifespan of parts, drives me nuts. LOL
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I've got my caster set right at about 4° and just about have all the vibes out now but there still is a ting of it when doing 45-50 mph. Not enough to really matter and only noticable because I'm looking for it. I'm sure if I took out about a degree more, it would be gone altogether... but, I'd rather not.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Yeah, I've got my caster set right at about 4° and just about have all the vibes out now but there still is a ting of it when doing 45-50 mph. Not enough to really matter and only noticable because I'm looking for it. I'm sure if I took out about a degree more, it would be gone altogether... but, I'd rather not.
I assume a 4dr and 2dr would need different caster angles to eliminate the vibes.. right? less caster in a 2 dr then a 4dr ? or is my thinking wrong?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bly109
I assume a 4dr and 2dr would need different caster angles to eliminate the vibes.. right? less caster in a 2 dr then a 4dr ? or is my thinking wrong?
Actually, quite the opposite. In my experience, 2-doors tend to feel more flighty when lifted and running bigger tires than 4-doors. So, on a 2-door, more caster would help you get your Jeep feeling tight at highway speeds again.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Actually, quite the opposite. In my experience, 2-doors tend to feel more flighty when lifted and running bigger tires than 4-doors. So, on a 2-door, more caster would help you get your Jeep feeling tight at highway speeds again.
I actually ment driveline vibrations, not handling. I was thinking that the 2drs would have steeper angle on the front driveshaft, thus needing less caster to help eliminate vibrations. But they have the same length front shaft, dont they?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I did mean driveline vibrations and I'm sure it's from the front JE Reel driveshaft angles. If I pull the front driveshaft it's very smooth. I'm starting to think I should have kept the stock shaft and hoped it wouldn't blow. LOL
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bly109
I actually ment driveline vibrations, not handling. I was thinking that the 2drs would have steeper angle on the front driveshaft, thus needing less caster to help eliminate vibrations. But they have the same length front shaft, dont they?
LOL!! Yes, the fronts are the same lenghts but in the rear, being as short as they are on a 2-door, upgrading to a u-joint style double cardin shaft is something that I would highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Je Reel/FT 3" Ulti. & Driveline Vibes