Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Build on 40's Need Advice

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

No not really. Its your jeep and your money though. Did you feel you had shortcomings from the rubicon on 35's?
From reading your past posts it appears you have very little off road experience as well? Just trying to put the picture together of what you are wanting to do. Will this jeep be a daily driver as well or a weekend toy?
Old 01-22-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc2010
Can you explain a bit on what kind of expenses you had when you did the 37's? I saw people on the forum saying that if you sleeve and do gussets or maybe a truss. Right gears and a lift and that you should be good. What am i missing?
The basic 35" build had to be enhanced with a bit heavier front diff, gears and stronger axle shafts. Rear wheel well pinch seals and rear bumper had to be really trimmed down. Harder to find 4" BS wheels so I'm running 4.75 BS now and will still have to add spacers. Runs and drives awesome otherwise and I don't have any concerns about going on a 8 hour road trip with it. But you don't want to wheel too hard if you have to drive home.
Other then that tires cost more and weigh more.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:29 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
From reading your past posts it appears you have very little off road experience as well? Just trying to put the picture together of what you are wanting to do. Will this jeep be a daily driver as well or a weekend toy?

Long Island, NY. I'll take a wild guess that it's all for show. Then again, they do get a little snow up there. I guess 40's on one-tons then would definitely be needed lol

Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Long Island, NY. I'll take a wild guess that it's all for show. Then again, they do get a little snow up there. I guess 40's on one-tons then would definitely be needed lol

There is a Seven Slot Syndicate Long Island group that travels to Rausch Creek (drives, not trailered) with 37" and 40" tire JKs, some are long arm/coil overs. They come to wheel... I've played with them a bit and began to follow a husband/wife couple from the group on FB that drove their 2 JKs to Utah last summer to wheel.

While I hate California/New York, they aren't all a bunch of poser yuppies.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:10 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry0071
There is a Seven Slot Syndicate Long Island group that travels to Rausch Creek (drives, not trailered) with 37" and 40" tire JKs, some are long arm/coil overs. They come to wheel... I've played with them a bit and began to follow a husband/wife couple from the group on FB that drove their 2 JKs to Utah last summer to wheel.

While I hate California/New York, they aren't all a bunch of poser yuppies.

Yeah, for some reason when I see the words Long Island / Staten Island, I automatically think GTL - gym, tan, & laundry lol. Probably why I avoid tv "programming" when possible.

No offense to those who live out there and aren't all show and no go lol

Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the axles, wheels/tires, and atlas are going to run $20k steering assist $1500 1350 axles set $1500. A long arm lift in the 4"-6" range, shocks, light bars, air compressor, cage, winch, skids, armor, recovery gear, spare parts (you are still going to break stuff with 40's) and all the other crap that you want to put on the jeep. You can go cheap with this stuff or get quality but I can easily see $10k here. All this is if you are doing all the work yourself. Add another $5-10k if you are paying someone to do the work. Of course you can buy used parts and search around for stuff to save some coin but I was basing the numbers on buying new.

It will be a bad ass head turning jeep. Pick a bright color too if you really want people to stare.

After all this is done and you take it off road you find the trails are too easy to do and will look for harder more dangerous stuff to do that will have a high risk or roll over and body damage. You will also have a heavily molested jeep that will be hard to sell and where you will loose a ton of money on it if you decide to or are forced to sell it. If is a daily driver it will be chore to drive around town in, tight parking lots will suck as the extra width gains great stability in the ride but increased the turning radius. Highway performance will be less then stellar and you will be wondering how much it will cost to put an LS in it ($15-40k)

My general advise after going thru this process is to buy or build a bungie if your off roading can not be done on a JK with 35's, lockers, and proper gearing. Which is also a bad ass jeep with good driving manners and resale value.
Baahaahaahahah!!!.....Can always rely on DirtMan to have an "In your face", "Tell it like it is" No thin skin allowed response with a whole lot of "Truth on the rock, Shaken not stirred"....Love it!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Why do you think you need 40s?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well the axles, wheels/tires, and atlas are going to run $20k steering assist $1500 1350 axles set $1500. A long arm lift in the 4"-6" range, shocks, light bars, air compressor, cage, winch, skids, armor, recovery gear, spare parts (you are still going to break stuff with 40's) and all the other crap that you want to put on the jeep. You can go cheap with this stuff or get quality but I can easily see $10k here. All this is if you are doing all the work yourself. Add another $5-10k if you are paying someone to do the work. Of course you can buy used parts and search around for stuff to save some coin but I was basing the numbers on buying new.

It will be a bad ass head turning jeep. Pick a bright color too if you really want people to stare.

After all this is done and you take it off road you find the trails are too easy to do and will look for harder more dangerous stuff to do that will have a high risk or roll over and body damage. You will also have a heavily molested jeep that will be hard to sell and where you will loose a ton of money on it if you decide to or are forced to sell it. If is a daily driver it will be chore to drive around town in, tight parking lots will suck as the extra width gains great stability in the ride but increased the turning radius. Highway performance will be less then stellar and you will be wondering how much it will cost to put an LS in it ($15-40k)

My general advise after going thru this process is to buy or build a bungie if your off roading can not be done on a JK with 35's, lockers, and proper gearing. Which is also a bad ass jeep with good driving manners and resale value.
Pretty spot on with all points listed. The only think mine is lacking is the LS swap, but that's an extra $20K ballpark depending on how I want to go, but it is still a runner with the 3.8. The 5.38 gears make up for it, but it doesn't set the world on fire.

I'm on 40's with Dynatrac ProRock 60's, ARB lockers, big brakes, Evo Double Throwdown long arm with King coilovers front and rear. It's setup to crawl but I drive it all over the place. It's also the same setup that they've run KOH and Baja with, and the bypasses are built for speed on a bumpy road. Drove to Moab last year for EJS, wheeled, drove home. Been to San Carlos, Mexico twice. She'll run 90 MPH on the road with no shakes or wobbles, and that's with zero weight in the tires. Proper setup is key.

As was pointed out, a Jeep on 40's gets lots of attention and the obstacles others are struggling on often appear easy and the lines tend to not be as crucial.

All it takes is time and money. Mine started off as a Rubicon, but there is very little of that in regards to running gear left. The biggest benefit is the 4:1 transfer case versus the alternatives in the non-Rubicon models. If you're going to go to the extremes needed for 40's you are better off saving the Rubicon money for upgrades and tackling the transfer case then.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Quick Reply: Jeep Build on 40's Need Advice