Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep People, is it legit?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep People, is it legit?

I Keep getting Facebook posts coming up from this company called Jeep People. I was curious if anyone has bought any parts from them? They are selling some halo head lights that seem legit but are very cheaply priced and in curious if others have bought from them. I've traditionally just bought from extreme terrain. Here's a link: https://www.jeeppeople.com/collections/jk/jk-headlights
Old 09-06-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As the saying goes, "If it seems too good to be true ...."

I never buy stuff from outfits like this. You never know what you are really getting. Stick with the places that have a reputation.

Incidentally, some overseas manufacturers have been caught putting UL stickers and FCC stickers (and I would also assume DOT stickers) on products that never passed inspection. Just because the manufacturer makes a claim, doesn't mean it is true.

I would just say that buyer beware. If your life may depend on it, why go cheap? I know, maybe an exaggeration, but if you can't see the road ahead of you because your lights fail, the consequences could be significant.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

+1^^ When it comes to headlights, I wouldn't cheap out. Pod lights, light bars, stuff like that fine, but not something as important as a headlight that you will most likely use daily and could impact your life.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that's what my gut was telling me but it did seem too good to be true. Extreme terrain has been great with the products they sell. Some of the headlights just seem so expensive, but sounds like it's worth it when you're out in the road
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Y, the housings on our headlights just suck in general. Not even sure how they can roll out of the factory with such substandard lights IMO. One thing to consider where snow is a factor, is that the only LED model with a heated lense is going to be TruckLite. If you are in the market for headlights, I'd really do some reading/due diligence on that. See what others in snowy areas are running and if build up on headlights is an issue for them. I don't have those issues down here in TX. I have JW Speaker Evo Gen2's, but I have a pretty good feeling that if I lived up north, I'd be running a different headlight just from the heated lens aspect alone.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

++1 for the heated Trucklights. I have them in my JK and never had a problem in snowy NE Ohio. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think they are that cheap... for example:

These Honeycomb lights are Phillips LED's that myself and 6 of my friends have been using for the last few years with no issues at all they have listed for $180 a pair

https://www.jeeppeople.com/collectio...d-jk-1996-2017

We buy this same light on Amazon for $96 a pair... This is an awesome headlight with great output and a sharp cutoff so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers... say what you want but I can't understand why anyone would pay $400+ for headlights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is one with the Halo

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Tu...7JAYC10EPHAPER

Last edited by Riptide9; 09-06-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
+1^^ When it comes to headlights, I wouldn't cheap out. Pod lights, light bars, stuff like that fine, but not something as important as a headlight that you will most likely use daily and could impact your life.
What?! No way!!!

To the OP. There's a lot of Chinese LED lights out there now. Some are good....some not so good. When I look at those prices from the link you posted, they don't seem like anything special to me. I'm all for saving money....just ask Resharp .

I couldn't even phathom spending $800 on a set of the JW speaker headlights in the past, it just seemed obscene. Not because I didn't want some, and I couldn't afford to get them, or because I didn't think they were great lights. It was because headlights and $800 for a pair just didn't make any sense to me. When I can buy a 60in HD LED TV set for $800 or a pair of LED headlights, things just didn't seem right to me with those LED headlight prices. When the next JL Wrangler comes out next year, and if it costs 8 to 10 times more than the current Wrangler with all the latest technology built into it.....call me stupid but I won't buy that either, no matter how much I would like one. I'm willing to pay for technology and improved performance over the previous generation technologies. Just not 8 to 10 times more like the JW Speaker headlights were priced.

I kind of expected the prices of LED headlights to eventually come down in price, just like they did for home LED light bulbs. When home LED bulbs 1st came out, they were $40-$50 a bulb and I didn't buy those either. Now I can pick them up for $1-$2 a bulb which is more inline with the cost of incandescent and CFL bulbs and LED bulbs have now replaced all the lights in my house. I look at LED headlights the same way. I was waiting for the LED headlights to come down to be more inline with the incandescent and Halogen bulbs. It's starting to happen. JW Speakers lowered their prices to $600.

It just wasn't happening fast enough for me, so I did pick up a set of Chinese LED headlights because they were more inline with the cost of incandescent and Halogen alternatives. But not before, reading tons of reviews and talking with other fellow Jeepers who had gotten them and could provide their personal experience.

I've had these installed on my JKU since this past March and can honestly say they've been great and they included matching LED fogs as well. They were $160 when I purchased them and they've since dropped to $140. 4.5 stars out of 160 reviews on Amazon.

They're 10 times better than my OEM lights. I've never gotten flashed by oncoming traffic and they're DOT approved with a great cut-off and best of all, they were priced where I was willing to spend on a set of headlights with improved performance and I got a matching set of fogs to boot.

compared to my OEM lights

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide9
We buy this same light on Amazon for $96 a pair... This is an awesome headlight with great output and a sharp cutoff so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers... say what you want but I can't understand why anyone would pay $400+ for headlights
It seems we were typing the same thoughts at the same time.

I just can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riptide9
I don't think they are that cheap... for example:

These Honeycomb lights are Phillips LED's that myself and 6 of my friends have been using for the last few years with no issues at all they have listed for $180 a pair

https://www.jeeppeople.com/collectio...d-jk-1996-2017

Here is one with the Halo

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Tu...7JAYC10EPHAPER
Do the Honeycomb style lights off Amazon have the anti flicker built in?

Quick Reply: Jeep People, is it legit?