Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

jeep squeaking

Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep squeaking

My jeep is squeaking a lot. It usually squeaks when we go off-roading but now it's every little bump. I was rear ended today but no damage and was just a tap. Is this normal?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Jeep squeaks too, but now it is just because I have a roof rack installed and it rattles/squeaks a bit. Other than that I had one other squeak when my rear sway bar links were loose and every time I went over a bump or the Jeep "swayed", they would squeak. The best way I found to determine where a squeak was coming from is just to have someone look underneath while you shake the Jeep side to side.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bounced on the back bumper and the side if the jeep. No squeak. Tiny bump in the road and squeaks like a mofo. I'm not sure what it is. My guess is the springs in the back, atleast that's where it sounds like its coming from. I'm not sure how to figure it out and I don't want to take it to a shop and pay out the ass to figure out what it is.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tattedJkers
I just bounced on the back bumper and the side if the jeep. No squeak. Tiny bump in the road and squeaks like a mofo. I'm not sure what it is. My guess is the springs in the back, atleast that's where it sounds like its coming from. I'm not sure how to figure it out and I don't want to take it to a shop and pay out the ass to figure out what it is.
Mine would not squeak bouncing up and down, but only when I shook it a lot side to side. That was actually by stepping on my side rails and pulling hard on my roof rack to shake it. It may be something different with yours, maybe a loose muffler, heat shield, etc... Was talking to the dealership where I got mine and they said the Jeeps are just like that....they tend to have squeaks and rattles now and then just by nature of the way they are built....tough....non-Hummer like.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Buy a can of wd40 and spray everything underneath. Everything that's rubber and everything thats connecting anything else.

Mine recently was also squeeking, wd40 fixed it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a long shot but...

I had a chirp...not a squeak but it ended up being my rear brakes. Took the dealership a few weeks to figure it out and even replaced half my front axle thinking that was the issue. However, some clever JKF people and a buddy of mine said it was the brakes. Jeep only had 11K on it at this time.

While mine made a constant noise while driving, it started squeaking/chirping originally when I went over bumps so I thought it was something to do with my suspension. When the dealership was finally replacing my brakes, they were able to replicate the noise bu gripping the caliper and rocking it back and forth (another tip form a JKF member). I assume that is why I was hearing the noise going over bumps.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
This is a long shot but...

I had a chirp...not a squeak but it ended up being my rear brakes. Took the dealership a few weeks to figure it out and even replaced half my front axle thinking that was the issue. However, some clever JKF people and a buddy of mine said it was the brakes. Jeep only had 11K on it at this time.

While mine made a constant noise while driving, it started squeaking/chirping originally when I went over bumps so I thought it was something to do with my suspension. When the dealership was finally replacing my brakes, they were able to replicate the noise bu gripping the caliper and rocking it back and forth (another tip form a JKF member). I assume that is why I was hearing the noise going over bumps.
My '07 has had a 'chirp' since 2007. It went away for a while when the dealer did some clutch work in 2009, but returned several months later, and has been there ever since. Mine chirps when I accelerate suddenly, as in step on it, even slightly. If I ease into the accelerator pedal, it does not chirp. So it seems to be when I surge forward. I have learned to live with it, as I have no way to track down where the chirp is comimg from.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about the wd40 which I will try. And how much did that run you for the brakes?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is an auto and I don't think it happens when I accelerate. It is a very annoying sound. But I will rather have a squeaky jeep then a hummer
Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I just wd40'd the he'll out of the jeep and it still squeaks. I'm hoping its not the brakes like you said it could be. Does anyone know the easiest way for me to figure if it is the brakes?

Quick Reply: jeep squeaking