Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Flat Towing a Jeep Wrangler 2dr

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Huck271
Has anyone done this? I have a 5.7 Hemi in my unlimited and would like to tow my 2dr to an event so I have both there. I know the JK can be flat towed but the question is has anyone pulled a JK with a Hemi JK? I know the motor is strong enough and the transmission tough enough and I have 60s F/R so its almost like a 1500 Ram at this point.

Opinions welcome.. I believe the big concern would be stopping. Any others?

Huck
HUck,

My friend used to tow his Scout with a 454 and 12.50 x 33" tires behind his truck. The Scout weighed around 5000lbs. The biggest problem for him was getting the Scout to steer with the big tires on it. The vehicle tried to fight him all the way so he ended up putting some skinny stock tires on it for towing and that helped a lot.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal choice would be a trailer with brakes on the front axle for more control stopping all the extra weight.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushrod
My personal choice would be a trailer with brakes on the front axle for more control stopping all the extra weight.
The only problem with that route is you have now added tongue weight, plus the weight of the trailer itself, which even with brakes, doesn't help with getting going or going uphill. A typical car hauler weights around 1500lbs, minimum, then add the weight of a vehicle, and I wouldn't attempt it with my jeep. A full size truck, no problem.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Flat Towing a Jeep Wrangler 2dr