Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Flat Towing a Jeep Wrangler 2dr

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Flat Towing a Jeep Wrangler 2dr

Has anyone done this? I have a 5.7 Hemi in my unlimited and would like to tow my 2dr to an event so I have both there. I know the JK can be flat towed but the question is has anyone pulled a JK with a Hemi JK? I know the motor is strong enough and the transmission tough enough and I have 60s F/R so its almost like a 1500 Ram at this point.

Opinions welcome.. I believe the big concern would be stopping. Any others?

Huck
Old 03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, put the TC in neutral and go.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

The brakes on a JK are as good or better than my old WJ and it was rated at 6,500 lbs towing. A d44HD rear and a LP D30 in front with 330lbsft torque. You should easily be fine with d60s.

That running gear is more like a 3/4ton truck and borderline 1ton.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Huck............there is no doubt in my mind that your very well equipped Jeep could do it. But the problem I think you will come across is with what your vehicle rating says inside the door. If you get an enthusiastic LEO, I think you might get a ticket.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a LEO? I'm gonna try it. I'll pick up a tow bar this week and try a quick 100 miles or so to see how it handles. If all is well we may try it. I may swap the wheels for added insurance. My Hemi Jeep has 40s and the 2dr has 37s. (same bolt pattern)

Huck
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Huck271
What is a LEO?

Huck
You know, the fuzz, county mounty, local, a bear, a full grown bear, 5-0, black and white, plain wrapper....

Law Enforcement Officer
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think your only problem will be gas mileage lol. But then again who gives a shit when you got 40/37 on your rigs.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Beware

Huck, last year I looked at building a jku rescue rig. I'm not going to get this 100% right, but this was the summary.

No can do, tow rating is more about physics than capability. Rating designation has to do with the overall design of the vehicle. Frame width, length, balance, suspension. Your jku is torquey enough but not built for towing that bad boy. It's not going to handle properly, or brake properly and the big wing dinger is if you get into an accident, the claim can be denied if the insurance company determines the tow rig wasn't rated for the load.

Good luck and I'll see you Sunday!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Check your state laws and insurance for what needs brakes based on its weight. I added brakes to my JKU to flat tow behind my diesel pusher to cover my ...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Flat 4 towing is a lot different than a trailer, as there is no tongue weight. Engine power is not what determines towing capability. You have to factor in the brakes, frame, tranny, trans cooler and stuff like that.

I would have no issues towing another Jeep with my Pentastar JKU, but I also live in a pretty flat part of the world. I don't have a lot of experience towing in hills and so forth so it's hard for me to say. I will be flat 4 towing my Jeep behind an F150, and I will be using my JKU to flat 4 tow a 5.7 JK on 40's, but again, mostly on flat terrain. The biggest hills I have to deal with are bridges, and I don't mind if it causes me to slow down and down shift as it will be a short duration.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Flat Towing a Jeep Wrangler 2dr