Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK 1-Ton Swap Q's.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 1-Ton Swap Q's.

New member here, still learning how to nav this site (Not setup the same as what I'm used to). Mods eel free to move if this is in the wrong area.

I've got a '14 Willy's Wheeler edition 2 door Jk with the 6 speed.

It currently has the stock axle under it. Front and rear both trussed, front has C gussets burned in also. Running stock aluminum wheels with metric 34's (315's I believe from the top of my head).

I just traded an '09 JKU Rubi for this one and have had it for about 2 weeks now.

I've installed a PS BFH bumper w/ brawler bar and D-ring mounts and a Smittybilt 10K that has been sitting in the garage for about 2.5 yrs.

So here is what I'm after. I would like to do an axle swap. I'm looking for strength (like most are).

I've scoured the local CL and have found some F350 Super Duty Axles for what I think are fairly reasonable prices, from what I understand I should be looking for an '05 or newer.

I'm very familiar with the 14BFF. I would like to use one in conjunction with the Super Duty 60. I know that the 14BFF has an 8 on 6.5 pattern and the newer Ford stuff has some screwy metric 8 lug pattern. I believe that I've read that someone (Spidertrax comes to mind) makes 8 on 6.5 hubs or unit bearings for the Super Duty axles so I woud go that route over wheel spacers.

I know that Artec makes a full truss and bracket kit for both of these axles that allows you to use all of the stock Jeep suspension components and that is pretty awesome. Very reasonable prices on those kits too!

My main concern with this whole thing is keeping the ABS and all of the electrical wheel stuff operating correctly so the Jeep doesn't go into limp mode and to keep the dash from being lit up with codes. I can handle all of the fab work to get these bad boys under the Jeep but it's still unclear to me about the ABS etc., are there preferred years of vehicles to pull these axles from which makes this portion of the swap easier?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-17-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get different unit bearings to get your bolt pattern the same or just get a Kingpin 60. The biggest thing you need to be aware of is that all 4 wheels will need speed sensors or you will be in limp mode. There is a really good write up on here by Invest2m4. Will need to search Junkyard 60 bible I believe. Or you could just Dan a call at Fusion 4X4 and he will set you up with all the correct parts. 🥃

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Artec has a great right up directly on there sight that pretty much explains exactly what your asking.

http://www.artecindustries.com/JK_1_Ton_Swaps_BP
Old 09-18-2017, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

05+ SD fronts are 72" wms while a 99-07 14 bolt is 69" wms, it makes a lot more sense to run 1.5" adapters on the rear and keep the 8x170mm ford pattern.
Also it's literates everywhere how to keep the abs and speedometer happy, you mustn't of looked too hard if you haven't found it.

Quick Reply: JK 1-Ton Swap Q's.