Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Lift kit - how to choose

Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JK Lift kit - how to choose

Hi all,

I will be lifting my JK Unlimited, my intention is to have my Jeep prepared to do travel - will be a lot of "off-road" miles (South America roads, but some without asphalt (Amazon, Patagonia) and some with snow and ice). I'm doubt about what lift kit can do best - I will do not be doing rock-crawling, but 37' is a must, because road conditions. Can a short-arm lift (like the 5' Fabtech) perform nice, with comfort and performance on road, stability to wind and at 70~80Mph, or I will be best served with a long arm 4.5' or 5'? Excuse the apparent newbie question, but I think this can bring a lot of useful information to the blog.

Thank you for attention!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re.: Advice

Thank you guys for the advice - I will consider the use of 35' tires. My Unlimited have D44 and is Auto. If you have any kind of links or reviews to post, this too, will be of great value.

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

It all depends on the size of tires you opt for. I would fit a lift kit that allows the axles to fully articulate without the tires rubbing the fenders but not to have much spare as you then needlessly increase the centre of gravity of your Jeep. The difference between 35" and 37" is "only" one inch of extra ground clearance. This extra inch could cost you a lot of money in needing a higher lift, better axle shafts and greater wear on the general drivetrain. If you go with a lift higher than 3" I would definitely consider a long arm kit and probably by Rubicon Express. If you want to go for 35's, you may want to consider an Old Man Emu lift. They are very good.
Over many years I have spent a small fortune on all sorts of lift kits and I have learnt that keeping it simple is the best policy for trouble free and enjoyable Jeeping.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

i wouldnt buy the cheapest lift there is... you get what you pay for

but then again i live in the great white north and the cheap stuff doesnt satnd a chance against our winters, even the good stuff has a hard time
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon Rando
i wouldnt buy the cheapest lift there is... you get what you pay for

but then again i live in the great white north and the cheap stuff doesnt satnd a chance against our winters, even the good stuff has a hard time
The kits I mentioned are the most expensive short arms on the market. Are you saying that Rubicon Express and Teraflex are cheap and low quality? So, what would be best?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Full-Traction 4

I think I found the perfect system for my needs - the Full-traction 4 Long arm - an amazing four-link BOLT-ON system. Does anyone have this system or any information about it? If so, please post or send to me - it will be of great value. Thank you all.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Please note that several posts in this thread have been deleted due to the fact that they were made covertly by a company that has been BLACKLISTED. This company was BLACKLISTED because of their questionable business practices and conduct here in the past and their recent attempts to participate and solicit undercover on this forum again only reinforces our reasons for BLACKLISTING them in the first place. As is noted in our forum rules, we have a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY regarding companies that engage in undercover soliciting and we try our best to enforce it for your protection.

Thank you,
Administrator
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zilon X
If you have any kind of links or reviews to post, this too, will be of great value.

Thanks again.
Here's a review of a few lift kits:

4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_0710_2007_jeep_jk_wrangler_runaround/index.html

Quick Reply: JK Lift kit - how to choose