Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK X D44 and Rubi 44 Locker

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK X D44 and Rubi 44 Locker

Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to get a factory rubi d44 e-locker and drop it in an X d44 axle?
If so what is required?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might help:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/who-makes-rubicon-e-lockers-247/

Then all you need to do is install the locker, wire it in, get the appropriate switches, and have the PCM flashed to recognize the locker. Not sure what you have to do to get the wiring through the diff - not sure if there's something stuffed in the diff where the locker wiring normally is or if there are different castings for non-locker 44s.

Or you can look at easier alternatives, like ARB (no PCM flash) or Detroit Locker (one of the easiest installs but road manners suffer a bit).

Last edited by AZJeeper; 03-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also admit my ignorance and I don't have a definitive answer for you. However, my X came with the optional same rear locker that's in the Rubicon, as well as the electronic sway bar disconnect. This is the primary reason I got the Jeep that I did, because I don't have power anything, or cruise control, or any other little "luxury" goodies...but I've got the locker and ESD.

So, I don't know if mine came with a different version of the D44 or what, but I do know that I've got the same rear locker in my X that's in a Rubicon. I do't believe they offer this as an option in the X anymore
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nick08JKUX
So, I don't know if mine came with a different version of the D44 or what, but I do know that I've got the same rear locker in my X that's in a Rubicon. I do't believe they offer this as an option in the X anymore
First I've ever heard of this... Not doubting you, b/c you know whats in your driveway and I don't, I just didn't think you could option an X up to lockers and ESD (esp. just one locker?!), without buying the Rubicon package...

Definitely odd... Would be kind of crazy if you got the factory rubicon D44 (which has more splines than non-Rubi) in rear and only a D30 up front, but I guess anything is possible.

EDIT: Did find this on wikipedia - which I guess is reliable - LOL
"Electronic locking front- and rear-axles called Tru-loc are also standard on Rubicon models. (rear locker optional on X models)"

Last edited by redrockin7; 03-22-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dpoelstra did it, ask him it wasn't as easy as a simple swap. Axle spline counts are different, as are the axle lengths and bearings I believe are totally different

here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ra+rubi+locker

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 03-22-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrockin7
First I've ever heard of this... Not doubting you, b/c you know whats in your driveway and I don't, I just didn't think you could option an X up to lockers and ESD (esp. just one locker?!), without buying the Rubicon package...

Definitely odd... Would be kind of crazy if you got the factory rubicon D44 (which has more splines than non-Rubi) in rear and only a D30 up front, but I guess anything is possible.
yes these options were available
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
yes these options were available
Pretty cool - never knew that. So, the X models with the rear locker - do they get the full out Rubi d44 rear axle (33 spline) or just a locker in the 30 spline non-Rubi d44? I guess they got 4.10 gears?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that's not nearly as cut and dry as I had hoped / expected.

I guess I will be looking for an aftermarket e-locker then.. Any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty cool - never knew that. So, the X models with the rear locker - do they get the full out Rubi d44 rear axle (33 spline) or just a locker in the 30 spline non-Rubi d44? I guess they got 4.10 gears?
It was the "S" package in '07 & '08. It is a Rubi axle but geared with 3.73's.
33 spine axles and all.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

EDIT: Did find this on wikipedia - which I guess is reliable - LOL
"Electronic locking front- and rear-axles called Tru-loc are also standard on Rubicon models. (rear locker optional on X models)"
I don't blame you for your doubt...I couldn't believe it either when I found it online at the local dealership when I was in the market. What was even funnier was that it had the tiny little tires and basic steel wheels, but yet had the locker and ESD. Like I said, that was the whole reason I bought it. I really wanted a Rubicon, but opted for this one and put the extra cash towards the additional mods you see in my signature.

I'm still unsure if it's the same D44 as the Rubicon's have, and I don't have my window sticker with me...still have it, but it's in a folder in my office...I'll look tomorrow. I believe it just says something like "next generation Dana 44" or something like that, which I assume they all say. I'll scan it in and post it tomorrow, because I'm curious now. Still wish I had the 44 up front though...locked or not

Trust me, it's an X model, but here's a picture I just snapped real quick of the switch panel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicka4269/4456301136/
Can't remember how to post the photo directly on here from flickr...never done it from flickr...only through my.project-jk.com

EDIT: BTW, I've only got 3.73 gears too...all the more reason for me to scan and post the window sticker. Would love to have at least the 4.10's with my 35's.

EDIT: Here is the window sticker...hope it's not too small to read and again, I'm sorry for having to link the pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicka4269/4457284844/

Last edited by Nick08JKUX; 03-23-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Quick Reply: JK X D44 and Rubi 44 Locker